SUNDAY 13 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Sunday Sessions: USERS d. Natalia Almada, 2022 at Bertha DocHouse (13 FEB 16:00).
“As technology advances, USERS invites us to question how the machines we use every day may end up changing us forever. Both intimate in scope and epic in scale, Natalia Almada’s stunning visual essay takes us on a cinematic journey to reassess our relationship with tech and its impact on our planet. Featuring a score performed by the Kronos quartet, USERS is a big screen audio-visual feast – ravishing and unsettling in equal measure.” (Bertha DocHouse)
- ALI & AVA d. Clio Barnard, 2021 at The Lexi Cinema (13 FEB 17:15).
- CASABLANCA d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 at Picturehouse Cinemas (13 FEB various).
- BRIEF ENCOUNTER d. David Lean, 1954 at Riverside Studios (13 FEB 15:10 / 16 FEB 12:30).
- Double Feature Film Screening & Supper Club: CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 + MYSTERY TRAIN d. Jim Jarmusch, 1989 presented by Paper Tank Collective at Paper Tank House (13 FEB 15:00).
- DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (13 FEB 17:00).
- Sunday Sessions: USERS d. Natalia Almada, 2022 at Bertha DocHouse (13 FEB 16:00).
- T A P E x Invisible Women Present: Touched short film programme + pre-recorded Q&A at BFI Southbank (13 FEB 15:30) / Part of Woman with a Movie Camera.
- Y TU MAMÁ TAMBIÉN d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2001 + Tapas presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (13 FEB 17:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LAST NIGHT IN SOHO 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2021 (until 17 FEB various); BRIEF ENCOUNTER 35mm d. David Lean, 1945 (13 FEB 18:05); WHEN HARRY MET SALLY… 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 (13 FEB 18:30).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 03 MAR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): VICTIM d. Basil Dearden, 1961 (13 FEB 13:00); HAPPY TOGETHER 4K aka Chun gwong cha sit d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (13 FEB 15:20); A FANTASTIC WOMAN aka Una mujer fantástica d. Sebastian Lelio, 2017 (13 FEB 18:40).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BRIEF ENCOUNTER 35mm d. David Lean, 1945 (13 FEB 18:05).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TURIN HORSE d. Béla Tarr, 2011 (13 FEB 17:30); BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 (13 FEB 20:15).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Hitchcock Truffaut: THE BRIDE WORE BLACK aka La Mariée était en noir d. François Truffaut, 1968 (13 FEB 18:00). The Literary Truffaut: FAHRENHEIT 451 d. François Truffaut, 1966 (13 FEB 12:40). Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (until 17 FEB various); FINALLY SUNDAY! aka Vivement dimanche! d. François Truffaut, 1983 (13 FEB 14:00).
INGMAR BERGMAN SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SUMMER WITH MONIKA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1953 (13 FEB 13:30).
LOVE STORIES at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): CASABLANCA: 80th Anniversary d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (13 FEB 15:30); THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER d. Peter Greenaway, 1989 (13 FEB 20:30).
NORA EPHRON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 (13 FEB 18:30).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IN BETWEEN DAYS d. So Yong Kim, 2006 (13 FEB 18:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): PONYO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2008 (from 12 FEB); KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1989 (from 12 FEB).
TWO BY RYÛSUKE HAMAGUCHI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): WHEEL OF FORTUNE AND FANTASY d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (11 FEB to 02 MAR various).
VALENTINES at Everyman Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 at Everyman Belsize Park (13 FEB 16:30); THE NOTEBOOK d. Nick Cassavetes, 2004 (13 FEB various).
VALENTINES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 (13 FEB 20:45).
- Includes (check venue for listings): SHRIEKING IN THE RAIN d. Eiji Uchida, 2021 (13 FEB 13:00); WILL I BE SINGLE FOREVER d. Momoko Fukuda, 2021 (13 FEB 15:15); THE VOICE OF SIN d. Nobuhiro Doi, 2020 (13 FEB 17:30); FIRST LOVE d. Yukihiko Tsutsumi, 2021 (13 FEB 20:40).
We’ve got nothing… what did we miss?
- Also 11 to 17 FEB (various dates/times): DOWNFALL: THE CASE AGAINST BOEING d. Rory Kennedy, 2022 at: Everyman Broadgate // THE FORGOTTEN ONES d. Michale Boganim, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 at: The Prince Charles (from 17 FEB to 03 MAR).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.