SUNDAY 16 APR 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE MAN WITHOUT DESIRE 35mm d. Adrian Brunel, 1923 + Intro by Josephine Botting, BFI Curator & Live piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne (16 APR 15:10).
“One of Adrian Brunel’s most intriguing films is this blend of sci-fi and costume drama. It concerns a grief-stricken 18th-century Venetian gentleman (Ivor Novello) who is thwarted in love and placed by a magician friend into suspended animation. When he wakes up 200 years later, his attempts adjust to modern times are humorous, but he finds the experiment has more serious unexpected consequences.” (BFI)
See also: Adrian Brunel and British cinema of the 1920s at BFI Southbank (17 APR 18:30).
- THE BOOKSELLERS d. D.W. Young, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse (16 APR 14:00).
- J’ACCUSE! A CRY FROM THE KILLING PITS OF LITHUANIA d. Michael D Kretzmer, 2022 + Q&A with the director, presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (16 APR 16:30 & 19:00).
- Kenneth Anger: Magick Lantern Cycle short film programme at Close-Up (16 APR 17:00).
- THE LAST WITNESS d. Piotr Szkopiak, 2017 + Q&A with the director at ActOne Cinema (16 APR 16:00).
- LIVING d. Oliver Hermanus, 2022 + Bill Nighy & Stephen Woolley In Conversation at Picturehouse Fulham Road (16 APR 15:00).
- THE MAN WITHOUT DESIRE 35mm d. Adrian Brunel, 1923 + Intro by Josephine Botting, BFI Curator & Live piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne (16 APR 15:10). See also: Adrian Brunel and British cinema of the 1920s at BFI Southbank (17 APR 18:30).
- MOMMIE DEAREST: HATE-ALONG dir Frank Perry, 1981 presented by Baby Lame at Rio Cinema (16 APR 15:30).
- NEVER GONNA SNOW AGAIN aka Sniegu juz nigdy nie bedzie d. Malgorzata Szumowska & Michal Englert, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (16 APR 17:00).
- PRAYERS FOR THE STOLEN aka Noche de fuego d. Tatiana Huezo, 2021 at Babel Art House (16 APR 19:30).
- SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE [45TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING] d. Richard Donner, 1978 at The Cinema in the Power Station (16 APR 15:30).
- UP ON THE ROOF d. Ben Hecking, 2002 + Q&A with Natalia Tena & Piotr Adamczyk at Polish Social & Cultural Association (16 APR 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BLUE VALENTINE 35mm d. Derek Cianfrance, 2010 (16 APR 18:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (until 22 APR).
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 d. Chad Stahelski, 2023 (16 APR 20:00).
- ANIME: SUZUME [Subtitled] d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (14 to 27 APR).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: INTERSTELLAR IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (16 APR 13:00).
10 YEARS OF A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- ZOLA d. Janicza Bravo, 2020 (16 APR various).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- SUPERMAN: 45TH ANNIVERSARY d. Richard Donner, 1978 (16 APR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE PASSENGER aka Professione: Reporter d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (16 APR 18:15).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY d. Peter Strickland, 2014 (16 APR 18:30).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- Shorts Programme 1 (16 APR 13:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- NOSFERATU d. F.W. Murnau, 1922 + Live score by Hugo Max (16 APR 21:00).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- KITTY FOYLE: THE NATURAL HISTORY OF A WOMAN 35mm d. Sam Wood, 1940 (16 APR 12:20).
- Re-release: TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 (07 to 20 APR).
IN FOCUS: HELENA SOLBERG at ICA
- NOON aka Meio-dia + DIARY OF A PROVINCIAL GIRL aka Vida de menina d. Helena Solberg, 1970 + 2004 + Intro by the director (16 APR 16:30).
KIEŚLOWSKI’S THREE COLOURS at Close-Up
- THREE COLOURS: RED d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994 (16 APR 20:15).
KIEŚLOWSKI’S THREE COLOURS 35MM at Curzon Soho
- THREE COLOURS TRILOGY: SPECIAL 35MM TRIPLE BILL (16 APR 11:30).
MARILYN MONROE at The Prince Charles
- SEVEN YEAR ITCH d. Billy Wilder, 1955 (16 APR 13:15).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- Play for Today: THE LAND OF GREEN GINGER + Armchair Theatre: THE PITY OF IT ALL d. Brian Parker, 1973 + Patrick Dromgoole, 1966 (16 APR 15:20).
- RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO d. Alan Clarke, 1986 (16 APR 18:30).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- 11 MINUTES aka 11 minut d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 2015 (16 APR 12:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #23 – PLAYTIME d. Jacques Tati, 1967 (16 APR 14:15).
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- APRIL AND THE EXTRAORDINARY WORLD aka Avril et le monde truqué d. Christian Desmares & Franck Ekinci, 2016 (16 APR 13:30).
- PLAYTIME d. Jacques Tati, 1967 (16 APR 14:15).
WB100 – CELEBRATING EVERY STORY at The Prince Charles
- BEETLEJUICE d. Tim Burton, 1988 (16 APR 15:45).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (16 APR 18:10 – 4K).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
Also 14 to 20 APR (various dates/times):
- CAIRO CONSPIRACY dir. Tarik Saleh, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- RAGING BULL dir. Martin Scorsese, 1980 at: BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.