SUNDAY: What’s on in London today [19/02/23]
SUNDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
KUMU HINA d. Dean Hamer & Joe Wilson, 2014 presented by Queer Film Club at London LGBTQ+ Community Centre (19 FEB 17:30 – Donation requested!).
“The London LGBTQ+ Community centre invites you to a screening and discussion of KUMU HINA: During a momentous year in her life in modern Honolulu, Hina Wong-Kalu, a native Hawaiian māhū, or transgender, teacher uses traditional culture to inspire a student to claim her place as leader of the school’s all-male hula troupe. But despite her success as a teacher, Hina longs for love and a committed relationship. Will her marriage to a headstrong Tongan man fulfill her dreams? An incredible docu-drama that unfolds like a narrative film, KUMU HINA reveals a side of Hawai’i rarely seen on screen.“
Suggested donation £5. All donations go towards supporting the filmmakers.
- Polish Film Talk: EO d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 2022 + Intro by Michael Brooke at Watermans (19 FEB 13:00).
- Chinese Cinema Project: JOURNEY TO THE WEST d. Kong Dashan, 2021 at The Garden Cinema (19 FEB 14:00).
- KUMU HINA d. Dean Hamer & Joe Wilson, 2014 presented by Queer Film Club at London LGBTQ+ Community Centre (19 FEB 17:30 – Donation requested!).
- Sunday Sessions: MYANMAR DIARIES d. The Myanmar Film Collective, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (19 FEB 16:00).
- NO MAN’S LAND d. Danis Tanovic, 2001 at Babel Art House (19 FEB 19:30).
- Phoenix Classics: ROMAN HOLIDAY d. William Wyler, 1953 (19 FEB 13:30).
- Short Film Screening presented by Tottenham Film at Blighty Nottingham (19 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (19 FEB 17:00).
- TITANIC 3D d. James Cameron, 1997 at Electric Cinemas White City (19 FEB 13:00).
- TOKYO STORY d. Ozu Yasujirō, 1953 at Japan House London (19 FEB 15:00 – FREE!).
Check venues for full listings…
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
- CASABLANCA 16mm d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (19 FEB 14:00).
- Presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club.
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Family: RHAPSODY IN AUGUST 35mm aka Hachigatsu no Kyoshikoku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1991 (19 FEB 18:30).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- LOVE IS THE DEVIL d. John Maybury, 1998 (19 FEB 12:45).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (17 to 23 FEB).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 (until 23 FEB).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- LA CHINOISE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 (19 FEB 20:15).
CELLULOID SUNDAY at ICA
- DUST IN THE WIND 35mm d. Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1986 (19 FEB 18:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (19 FEB 20:20 – 4K).
CLASSICS at Genesis Cinema
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 (19 FEB 14:45).
CLOSE-UP ON DANNY LYON at Close-Up Film Centre
- Programme 2 (19 FEB 18:00).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- FILM SOCIALISME d. Jean-Luc Godard, 2010 (19 FEB 14:0).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- THE GODFATHER TRILOGY d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 + 1974 + 1990 (19 FEB 13:00).
NICOLAS ROEG: HAUNTING MEMORIES at Riverside Studios
- THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH d. Nicolas Roeg + Video essay by Mark Cousins (19 FEB 14:00).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- HEAT d. Michael Mann, 1995 (19 FEB various).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (19 FEB 18:00 – 4K).
WEIMAR CINEMA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (19 FEB various).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON dir. Dean Fleischer-Camp, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
NOSTALGIA dir. Mario Martone, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex
THE SON dir. Florian Zeller, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Ciné Lumière / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 17 to 23 FEB (various dates/times):
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 at: Barbican./ Picturehouse Cinemas.
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- SHARPER d. Benjamin Caron, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.