SUNDAY 22 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ZERO PATIENCE 35mm d. John Greyson, 1993 (22 JAN 19:00) / Part of CELLULOID SUNDAY at ICA.
“Victorian explorer Sir Richard Burton, who drank from the Fountain of Youth and now works as a taxidermist at the Toronto Natural History Museum, is doing research on ‘Patient Zero’, a gay flight attendant who allegedly brought HIV to North America. Meanwhile, the ghost of Patient Zero materializes and in a comedy of errors, encounters Burton. They fall in love and attempt to figure out what to do about the scientist’s past attempts to defame Patient Zero as a “sexual serial killer”.”
“Directed by gay activist and figure of the Toronto New Wave John Greyson (Lilies), Zero Patience delivers a bold critique of the stigma surrounding the origins of HIV and of the myth of the patient zero, less than a decade after the death of Gaëtan Dugas, an early HIV patient long regarded as the primary US case.” (ICA)
Celluloid Sunday is a series of screenings showing on original format from the ICA Archive.
- ALICE DARLING d. Mary Nighy, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (22 JAN 17:45).
- BETTER LUCK TOMORROW 35mm d. Justin Lin, 2002 + Q&A with the director, presented by Milk Tea Films at BFI Southbank (22 JAN 15:00).
- THE DRIVER d. Walter Hill, 1978 at Riverside Studios (22 JAN 14:00 / 23 JAN 15:00).
- THE FRENCH DISPATCH d. Wes Anderson, 2020 at Babel Art House (22 JAN 19:00).
- HIT THE ROAD d. Panah Panahi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (22 JAN 17:00).
- JOURNEY TO THE WEST d. Kong Dashan, 2021 + Online Q&A with the director, for Chinese New Year at The Garden Cinema (22 JAN 11:30).
- MANIFESTO d. Daniel Draper, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (22 JAN 12:30).
- RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 at Genesis Cinema (22 JAN 15:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (22 JAN 17:45).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (22 JAN 19:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 26 JAN).
- SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022: 72= MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO aka Tonari no Totoro d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (22 JAN 10:00); 75= SPIRITED AWAY aka Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (22 JAN 12:30).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Honour: THE BAD SLEEP WELL 35mm aka Warui Yatsu hoho Yoku Nemuru d. Akira Kurosawa, 1960 (22 JAN 18:00).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (22 JAN 13:10).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (22 JAN 19:00).
CELLULOID SUNDAY at ICA
- ZERO PATIENCE 35mm d. John Greyson, 1993 (22 JAN 19:00).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (20 to 26 JAN).
DRUMROLL FOR FORTUITOUS HEROES at Ciné Lumière
- THE CHORUS aka Les Choristes d. Christophe Barratier, 2021 (22 JAN 14:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 (22 JAN 20:00).
IMITATIONS OF LIFE: DECONSTRUCTING ‘CAMP’ IN CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD at The Cinema Museum
- THE LITTLE MERMAID + BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 35mm ds. Ron Clements & John Musker, 1989 + Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise, 1991 + Intro/discussion (22 JAN 16:00).
- Presented by The Vito Project LGBTQ+ Film Club.
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (22 JAN 20:15).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- LOST HIGHWAY + JAUNT ds. David Lynch, 1997 + Andrew Kötting, 1995 (22 JAN 18:10).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 78= A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1946 (22 JAN 11:30).
- 78= MODERN TIMES d. Charles Chaplin, 1936 (22 JAN 13:10).
- 72= L’AVVENTURA aka The Adventure d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960 (22 JAN 15:20).
- BFI IMAX: 72= MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO aka Tonari no Totoro d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (22 JAN 10:00); 75= SPIRITED AWAY aka Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (22 JAN 12:30).
- Talks & Events: 90= YI YI 35mm aka A One and a Two… d. Edward Yang, 2000 + Intro by Hyun Jin Cho, Film Programmer, BFI Festivals (22 JAN 14:00).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (22 JAN 14:55).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- THE KING’S SPEECH d. Tom Hooper, 2010 (22 JAN various).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- THE CONFORMIST aka Il conformista d. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 (22 JAN 13:30).
WORLD CINEMA PASSPORT SEASONat Everyman Belsize Park
- CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1962 (22 JAN 13:45).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (22 JAN 17:20 – 4K).
YASUJIRŌ OZU: NORIKO TRILOGY at Close-Up Film Centre
- LATE SPRING d. Yasujirō Ozu, 1949 (22 JAN 18:00).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
BABYLON dir Damien Chazelle, 2022
Also 20 to 26 JAN (various dates/times):
- ALICE DARLING d. Mary Nighy, 2022 at: Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema
- HIDE & SEEK aka Nascondino d. Victoria Fiore, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2023 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.