SUNDAY 22 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE SWALLOWS OF KABUL aka Les Hirondelles de Kaboul d. Zabou Breitman & Eléa Gobbé-Mevellec, 2019 at ICA (22 AUG 18:45) / Part of AFGHANISTAN ON SCREEN.
- “Summer 1998 – Kabul under Taliban rule. Zunaira and Mohsen are young and in love. Despite the daily violence and misery, they hope for a better future. One day, a foolish gesture causes life to take an irrevocable turn. French duo Zabou Breitman & Eléa Gobbé-Mevellec’s acclaimed work sadly feels more relevant than ever, and works as a reminder of the restrictions and arbitrary rules imposed by the Taliban.”
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70MM d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored print’ at The Prince Charles (22 AUG 17:15).
- CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Riverside Studios (22 AUG 17:30).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 20 to 26 AUG various).
- FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE 4K aka Per qualche dollaro in più d. Sergio Leone, 1965 at BFI (22 AUG 12:10).
- THE HATEFUL EIGHT d. Quentin Tarantino, 2015 at BFI (22 AUG 18:00).
- THE LAST PICTURE SHOW d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1971 at Riverside Studios (22 AUG 14:00).
- THE LAST PICTURE SHOW d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1971 at ICA (22 AUG 20:45).
- MANDABI d. Ousmane Sembene, 1968 at Electric Cinema Portobello (22 AUG 14:00).
- MATTHEW BARNEY’S CREMASTER CYCLE: CREMASTER 3 at Picturehouse Cinemas (22 AUG various).
- THE NEW WORLD [Director’s Cut] d. Terrence Malick, 2005 at BFI (22 AUG 12:00).
- NOSTALGHIA d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1983 at The Prince Charles (22 AUG 14:30).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at Genesis Cinema (22 AUG 14:00).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI (daily until 26 AUG various times).
- OLD ACQUAINTANCE 35MM d. Vincent Sherman, 1943 at BFI (22 AUG 15:30).
- PULP FICTION 16MM d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (22 AUG 13:45).
- QUO VADIS, AIDA? d. Jasmila Zbanic, 2020 at Electric Cinema White City (22 AUG 14:30).
- SHORT FILM FEELING HOPEFUL short film programme at Rio Cinema (22 AUG 15:45).
- SOLARIS d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972 at ICA (22 AUG 13:30).
- SPIRITED AWAY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 at The Prince Charles (22 AUG 11:30 – SUB).
- THE SWALLOWS OF KABUL aka Les Hirondelles de Kaboul d. Zabou Breitman & Eléa Gobbé-Mevellec, 2019 at ICA (22 AUG 18:45).
- THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS 35MM d. John Hough, 1980 at BFI (22 AUG 13:00).
- WHERE DOES A BODY END? d. Marco Porsia, 2019 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (22 AUG 19:30).
- WHITE ON WHITE d. Viera Čákanyová, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (22 AUG 16:00).
- WOLF AND SHEEP d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2016 at ICA (22 AUG 16:45).
- CHEF d. Jon Favreau, 2014 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (22 AUG 20:30).
- INTERSTELLAR d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (22 AUG 20:15).
- MISBEHAVIOUR d. Philippa Lowthorpe, 2020 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Pimp Hall Park, Chingford E4 (22 AUG 18:30+ – FREE!/No booking required).
- MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrmann, 2001 at The Luna Cinema at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre (22 AUG 20:15).
- SECRET GARDEN d. Agnieszka Holland, 1993 presented by Stow Film Lounge at Pimp Hall Park, Chingford E4 (22 AUG 15:30+ – FREE!/No booking required).
A SONG CALLED HATE d. Anna Hildur Hildibrandsdóttir, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 20 to 26 AUG).
- Also (20 to 26 AUG various dates/times): NEW ORDER aka Nuevo orden d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière (from 25 AUG) / ICA // THE NIGHT HOUSE d. David Bruckner, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema // SABAYA d. Hogir Hirori, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // UNDERGROUND aka Souterrain d. Sophie Dupuis, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas.
- Leytonstone Pop-Up Cinema presents THE ICE KING at Leytonstone Library (02 FEB 2022).
- Lambeth Libraries presents a FREE! screening of REBEL DYKES + Discussion (04 FEB 2022).
- Celebrate St. Brigid’s Day with Irish Film London (29 & 30 JAN 2022).
- Kennington Bioscope presents A SOUL IN TORMENT from 35mm at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.