SUNDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BREAK MY FALL – REDUX d. Kanchi Wichmann, 2011 + Q&A with the director, presented by Club des Femmes at Rio Cinema (26 FEB 15:00).
“Presented in association with Club des Femmes and Peccadillo Pictures, long-time friend des femmes writer/director Kanchi Wichmann’s captivating debut charts twenty-something dykes Liza and Sally entangled lives in crisis. In a band, broke and on a permanent comedown, their one-time loving relationship is disintegrating: yet neither can walk way.”
“Released in 2011, Wichmann’s provocative film split audience at the time for its unflinching depiction of a lesbian relationship on the rocks. Shot on 16mm around East London, the film is a striking time capsule of the city’s fast disappearing queer counterculture, including the now closed SH! sex shop in Hoxton. Made in close collaboration with director of photography David Pietkiewicz and sound designer/composer Lein Sangster, the film alluringly and authentically records a scene that Wichmann knew and loved.”
“Recently trimmed and smartly re-edited to mark Peccadillo’s 10th anniversary re-release, we are delighted to present the world premiere of BREAK MY FALL – REDUX.”
- ALIENS d. James Cameron, 1986 presented by Film Tottenham at Blighty Tottenham (26 FEB 18:00).
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (26 FEB 17:00).
- BARBARA d. Christian Petzold, 2012 at Babel Art House (26 FEB 19:30).
- BEYOND THE DREAM d. Kiwi Chow, 2023 at Genesis Cinema (26 FEB 20:25 / 27 FEB 20:45).
- BREAK MY FALL – REDUX d. Kanchi Wichmann, 2011 + Q&A with the director, presented by Club des Femmes at Rio Cinema (26 FEB 15:00).
- CREATURE d. Asif Kapadia, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Phoenix Cinema (26 FEB 17:00).
- CREATURE d. Asif Kapadia, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Central (26 FEB 13:00).
- Preview: HAPLESS Season 2 presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (26 FEB 19:30).
- I EVEN MET HAPPY GYPSIES d. Aleksandar Petrovic, 1967 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht, presented by Never On Sunday at Close-Up Film Centre (26 FEB 20:15).
- NO MAN OF HER OWN 16mm d. Mitchell Leisen, 1950 + Intro & raffle, presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (26 FEB 19:30).
- SEPTEMBER d. Giulia Louise Steigerwalt, 2023 UK Premiere presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Riverside Studios (26 FEB 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- AMELIE 35mm aka Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain d. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001 (26 FEB 12:15).
- ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar-wai, 1994 (26 FEB 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (until 02 MAR).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (until 02 MAR).
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (26 FEB 15:45).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: TENET IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2020 (26 FEB 12:00).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Unclassifiable Kurosawa: DREAMS 4K aka Yume d. Akira Kurosawa, 1990 (26 FEB 15:30).
- Professional Lives: RED BEARD 35mm aka Akahige d. Akira Kurosawa, 1965 (26 FEB 17:25).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 presented by The People’s Film Club to raise funds for LGBTQ+ groups in Pakistan and the diaspora (26 FEB 16:30).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1980 (26 FEB 16:15).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- CONAN THE DESTROYER d. Richard Fleischer, 1984 + Intro, intermission, brunch & prize giveaways at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero (26 FEB 11:00).
- Presented by Token Homo.
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (26 FEB 20:25 – 4K).
CLASSICS at Genesis Cinema
- SOME LIKE IT HOT d. Billy Wilder, 1959 (26 FEB 14:45).
CLOSE-UP ON DANNY LYON at Close-Up Film Centre
- Programme 4 (26 FEB 18:00).
- TENET IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2020 (26 FEB 12:00).
THE FILMS OF TERRY GILLIAM at The Garden Cinema
- THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN d. Terry Gilliam, 1989 (26 FEB 13:30).
- THE FISHER KING d. Terry Gilliam, 1991 (26 FEB 16:15).
- BRAZIL d. Terry Gilliam, 1985 (26 FEB 19:00).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- GOODBYE TO LANGUAGE 3D aka Adieu au langage d. Jean-Luc Godard, 2014 (26 FEB 15:30).
MARILYN MONROE at The Prince Charles
- NIAGARA d. Henry Hathaway, 1953 (26 FEB 15:45).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 54= THE APARTMENT 4K d. Billy Wilder, 1960 (26 FEB 12:40).
- 31= PSYCHO 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 (26 FEB 12:50).
- 43= STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 (26 FEB 14:00).
- 35 PATHER PANCHALI 4K d. Satyajit Ray, 1955 (26 FEB 15:45).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- MADAME DE… aka The Earrings of Madame de…d. Max Ophüls, 1953 (26 FEB 14:00).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (until 02 MAR).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- BREAKFAST CLUB d. John Hughes, 1985 (26 FEB various).
WORLD CINEMA PASSPORT SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- OLDBOY d. Park Chan-wook, 2003 (26 FEB 13:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar-wai, 1994 (26 FEB 18:00).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mmd. Wong Kar-wai, 1994 (26 FEB 18:00).
YOU BEAUTIES: NEW AUSTRALIAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank
- SWEET AS d. Jub Clerc, 2022 + Short: FINDING JEDDA d. Tanith Glynn-Maloney, 2021 (26 FEB 18:30).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
- Glasgow Film Festival (01 to 12 MAR).
- Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (01 to 02 MAR).
- London Mountain Film Festival (20 FEB to 05 MAR).
Also 24 FEB to 02 MAR (various dates/times):
- A HOLY FAMILY d. Elvis A-Liang Lu, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse (see also CHARM CIRCLE).
- CHARM CIRCLE d. Nira Burstein, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse (see also A HOLY FAMILY).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.