SUNDAY 30 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ZONE TROOPERS d. Danny Bilson, 1985 + Intro, intermission, prize giveaways & brunch! at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero (30 APR 12:00 – £1).
“When a World War II American military patrol gets lost behind enemy lines in Italy and stumbles upon a crashed alien spacecraft, they quickly come to realise they must join forces with the extra-terrestrials if they are to defeat the Nazis who are hell-bent on using the alien technology to win the war.”
“Indie U.S. production company Empire International Pictures (aka Empire Entertainment) was a real family affair. Founder Charles Band appointed his dad, Albert – an experienced director/producer (ZOLTAN… HOUND OF DRACULA) – as head of production and recruited his brother, Richard (GHOULIES), to write several film scores. Beloved Empire titles include TRANCERS (1984), RE-ANIMATOR (1985) and ROBOT JOX (1990).”
“ZONE TROOPERS comes from the period of ‘peak Empire’ before the studio’s eventual financial collapse in the late 80s which led Charles Band to launch Full Moon Entertainment, a company he still runs today (home of the PUPPET MASTER franchise). Plugging yourself into this “daft” little number will put an instant smile on your face, making it another pitch-perfect slice of Sunday brunch cinema.”
BAR TRASH films are served with themed drinks, introductions, intermissions, prize giveaways and subtitles (where possible). Film £1 / Film + Bottomless Prosecco £25. Full brunch menu available at your table from the Rule Zero kitchen (billed separately).
- 25th Anniversary Celebration of Sarah Waters’ Book ‘Tipping The Velvet’ for Lesbian Visibility Week at The Cinema Museum (30 APR 14:30).
- Black History Studies: THE AMAZING NINA SIMONE d. Jeff L. Lieberman, 2015 + Discussion with Charmaine Simpson at The Lexi Cinema (30 APR 18:00).
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez Mesén, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (30 APR 17:00).
- Never On Sunday: MARCH, MARCH, TRA-TA-TA! d. Raimundas Vabalas, 1964 + Intro by Lina Kaminskaitė & Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (30 APR 20:15).
- Short Films in Tottenham presented by Film Tottenham at Blighty N15 (30 APR 18:45 – FREE!).
- TANGERINES aka Mandariinid d. Zaza Urushadze, 2013 at Babel Art House (30 APR 19:30).
- Harmony Korine Lecture by Charlie Fox presented by Deeper Into Movies at MOTH Club (30 APR 19:30).
- Paul Gambaccini’s Desert Island Flicks at The Cinema Museum (30 APR 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (30 APR 15:30).
- MISSISSIPPI MASALA 35mm d. Mira Nair, 1991 (30 APR 15:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (30 APR 14:45).
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (30 APR 17:10)
- AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (30 APR 20:00).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: INCEPTION IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2010 (30 APR 11:30).
10 YEARS OF A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 (30 APR various).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- JUNK HEAD d. Takahide Hori, 2021 (30 APR 18:30).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- TWO OR THREE THINGS I KNOW ABOUT HER d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 (30 APR 18:20).
BAR TRASH at Rule Zero
- ZONE TROOPERS d. Danny Bilson, 1985 + Intro, intermission, prize giveaways & brunch! at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero (30 APR 12:00).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE LADY EVE d. Preston Sturges, 1941 (30 APR 14:15).
- THE GODFATHER PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 (30 APR 16:30).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BEAU TRAVAIL d. Claire Denis, 1999 (30 APR 16:20).
CHISWICK PICKS at Chiswick Cinema
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 (30 APR 15:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- CLUE d. Jonathan Lynn, 1985 (30 APR 18:15).
- WHO DONE IT: THE CLUE DOCUMENTARY d. Jeff C. Smith, 2022 (30 APR 20:40).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- TIMBUKTU d. Abderrahmane Sissako, 2014 (30 APR 15:00).
- Special events: Speaking West African Cinema: Poetry Recital (30 APR 17:30).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- MONKEY BUSINESS d. Howard Hawks, 1952 (30 APR 12:00).
- BLACK WIDOW d. Nunnally Johnson, 1954 (30 APR 18:45).
MARILYN MONROE at The Prince Charles
- BUS STOP d. Joshua Logan, 1956 (30 APR 13:30).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO d. Alan Clarke, 1986 (30 APR 12:10).
- THE ARBOR d. Clio Barnard, 2010 (30 APR 14:30).
- MY SON THE FANATIC d. Udayan Prasad, 1997 (30 APR 16:45).
SHASHA MOVIES: ARCHIVE FEVER at ICA
- ORIGINS OF A MEAL d. Luc Moullet, 1978 + Panel with Missy Flynn (Founder of Rita’s Dining) and Imogen Kwok, hosted by Jago Rackham (Ecstasy Cookbook) (30 APR 11:00).
- LIFE ON THE CAPS d. Meriem Bennani, 2022 + Conversation with visual artist Anthea Hamilton hosted by Róisín Tapponi (30 APR 18:00).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #59 –SANS SOLEIL d. Chris Marker, 1983 (30 APR 14:00).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME at Picturehouse Cinemas
- MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA d. Dziga Vertov, 1929 (30 APR various).
SPOTLIGHT ON FEMALE FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- MISSISSIPPI MASALA d. Mira Nair, 1991 (30 APR 15:45).
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- WALL-E d. Andrew Stanton, 2008 (30 APR 13:30 – Relaxed screening).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- ALIENS d. James Cameron, 1986 (30 APR various).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (30 APR 20:15).
- Cine Latino (24 APR to 07 MAY).
- Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY).
- Leytonstone Loves Film Saturday Cinema (29 APR).
- London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
- The Tufnell Park Film Club Shorter Film Festival (30 APR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 14 MAY).
Also 28 APR to 04 MAY (various dates/times):
- ALIS dir Clare Weiskopf & Nicolas van Hemelryck, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- BIG GEORGE FOREMAN: THE MIRACULOUS STORY OF THE ONCE & FUTURE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD dir George Tillman Jr., 2023 at: Catford Mews / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema.
- DOSED: THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME dir Tyler Chandler & Nicholas Meyers, 2022 at: Genesis Cinema.
- LEAVING TO REMAIN dir Mira Erdevički, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- LOVE ACCORDING TO DALVA dir Emmanuelle Nicot, 2022 at: The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / The Garden Cinema / ICA.
- THE PASSION OF REMEMBRANCE dir Isaac Julien & Maureen Blackwood, 1986 at: BFI / ICA.
- SARURA dir Nicola Zambelli, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI – 40TH ANNIVERSARY d. Richard Marquand, 1983 at (28 APR to 01 MAY): Curzon Mayfair / The Ritzy.
- YOUNG SOUL REBELS dir Isaac Julien, 1991 at: BFI / ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.