Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
Cinemas will open again. That’s the news.
It’s great to be back in the room (from 17 MAY…)
See you there!
SPRING BLOSSOM d. Suzanne Lindon, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (21 to 25 + 27 MAY various times):
“In Suzanne Lindon’s debut film, a 16-year-old girl bored with the company of her peers takes an interest in an older man. If the set-up sounds familiar, Lindon gracefully steers clear of cliché and offers more than a few surprises. In particular, a trio of musical numbers echo the everyday life song-and-dance routines of Jacques Demy’s beloved The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. And just as remarkable is the fact that Lindon wrote, directed and starred in this film when she was 20” (Ciné Lumière).
Also screening at Curzon Cinemas (from 17 MAY).
TINA d. Daniel Lindsay & T. J. Martin, 2021 at Barbican Cinema (17 MAY 14:00 & 19:00).
QUO VADIS, AIDA? d. Jasmila Žbanić, 2021 at Riverside Studios (18 MAY 17:30).
DARAYA: A LIBRARY UNDER BOMBS aka Daraya: une bibliothèque sous les bombes d. Delphine Minoui & Bruno Joucla, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (19 MAY 21:10) / Part of Beyond Words – French Literature Festival.
RARE BEASTS d. Billie Piper, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (20 MAY 18:35).
STATE FUNERAL d. Sergei Loznitsa, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (21 MAY 18:00).
SURGE d. Aneil Karia, 2020 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (22 MAY 18:00).
Architecture On Film: INTO GREAT SILENCE d. Philip Gröning, 2005 at Barbican Cinema (23 MAY 14:00).
DREAM PALACE at BFI Southbank (from 17 MAY)
“We celebrate getting back in to the cinema with some of our favourite filmmakers and friends.”
- Includes (check venue for full listings):
- BLOW OUT d. Brian De Palma & John G Fox, 1979 + Intro by Ben Roberts, BFI CEO (17 MAY 17:45);
- PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2019 (17 MAY 20:45);
- THE GENERAL 4K d. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman, 1926 + live piano accompaniment by Neil Brand + Intro by Stuart Brown, BFI Head of Programme and Acquistions (18 MAY 18:10);
- THE SHOUT d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1978 + Pre-recorded Intro by director Mark Jenkin (19 MAY 17:40);
- THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER d. Peter Greenaway, 1989 + Intro by Justin Johnson, BFI Lead Programmer (20 MAY 17:30);
- FOOTLOOSE d. Herbert Ross, 1984 + Pre-recorded intro by director Francis Lee (20 MAY 20:45);
- DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 + Intro by Tricia Tuttle, BFI Festivals Director (21 MAY 18:00);
- CAR WASH 35MM d. Michael Schultz, 1976 + Intro by Gurinder Chadha (21 MAY 20:55);
- BEGINNING d. Dea Kulumbegashvili, 2020 + Pre-recorded intro by director Luca Guadagnino (22 MAY 11:30 / 22 JUN 20:30);
- BLACK NARCISSUS 35MM d. Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger, 1947 + Intro by director Edgar Wright (22 MAY 14:20);
- THE WONDERS aka Le meraviglie d. Alice Rohrwacher, 2014 + Pre-recorded intro by director Mark Cousins (22 MAY 15:15);
- HAIR d. Milos Forman, 1979 + Pre-recorded intro by director Kleber Mendonça Filho (22 MAY 20:30);
- MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION 35MM d. Douglas Sirk, 1954 + Intro by Heather Stewart, BFI Creative Director (23 MAY 12:45);
- FEAR EATS THE SOUL aka Angst essen Seele auf d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 + Intro by Heather Stewart, BFI Creative Director (23 MAY 15:45);
- BEAU TRAVAIL d. Claire Denis, 1999 + Pre-recorded intro by director Kirsten Johnson (23 MAY 18:40).
- Beyond Words: French Literature Festival (17 to 23 MAY)
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (01 APR to 03 JUN)
- Kinoteka: The 19th Polish Film Festival (06 MAY to 04 JUN 2021)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. 40% of fees supports indie cinema events across London. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // We try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.