THURSDAY 01 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE GLEANERS & I aka Les glaneurs et la glaneuse d. Agnès Varda, 2000 + Intro presented by No Planet B at Catford Mews (01 JUL 20:15).
- “In this idiosyncratic, self-reflexive documentary, Varda explores the world of modern-day gleaners: those living on the margins who survive by foraging and scavenging for what society throws away. Varda likens her filmmaking to the gleaning of ideas and images from interior and exterior journeys and admits to being a gleaner herself, which gives her a special connection with the subjects of this honest and intriguing documentary.”
- No Planet B is an environmental film club inspiring activism through cinema.
- ANDREI RUBLEV 35MM d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966 at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 15:00).
- BATTLE ROYALE aka Batoru rowaiaru d. Kinji Fukasaku, 2000 at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 12:25).
- BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN aka Bronenosets Potemkin d. Sergei Eisenstein, 1925 at BFI Southbank (01 JUL 14:30).
- CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (01 JUL 20:45 / Part of Woman With a Movie Camera.
- CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1996 at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 20:40).
- DON’T GO GENTLE: A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer + Q&A with Andy Stewart at The Ritzy (01 JUL 20:45) / Part of Doc’n Roll Festival.
- EYIMOFE aka This is My Desire d. Arie Esiri & Chuko Esiri, 2020 at BFI Southbank (01 JUL 20:30).
- FARGO: 25 Anniversary Restoration d. Ethan Cohen, 1996 at Genesis Cinema (01 JUL 18:05).
- FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF d. John Hughes, 1986 at Backyard Cinema (01 JUL 12:30).
- GALAXY QUEST 35MM d. Dean Parisot, 1999 at The Prince Charles (daily 26 JUN to 01 JUL various times).
- THE GLEANERS & I aka Les glaneurs et la glaneuse d. Agnès Varda, 2000 + Intro presented by No Planet B at Catford Mews (01 JUL 20:15).
- HOPE & GLORY d. John Boorman, 1987 at BFI Southbank (01 JUL 17:30).
- I’LL MEET YOU THERE d. Iram Parveen Bilal, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (01 JUL 20:30) / Part of London Indian Film Festival.
- LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laura Fairrie, 2021 + Satellite Q&A with Joan Collins, the director, writers Julie Cohen and Daisy Buchanan, hosted by Mariella Frostrup at Everyman Broadgate (01 JUL 18:15).
- MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 12:55 – SUB).
- PAPRIKA d. Satoshi Kon, 2006 at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 15:30 & 18:45 – SUB).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (01 JUL 21:00).
- THE SALT IN OUR WATER d. Rezwan Shahriar Sumit, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (01 JUL 20:30) / Part of London Indian Film Festival.
- SOUAD d. Ayten Amin, 2021 + Q&A at Barbican Cinema (01 JUL 18:00) / Opening night of SAFAR Film Festival.
- UNDERGODS d. Chino Moya, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Everyman Muswell Hill (01 JUL 19:30).
- WILD WEST d. David Atwood, 1992 at Rich Mix (01 JUL 20:00) / Part of London Indian Film Festival.
- ON AKKA’S SHORE d. Umama Hamido at The Whitechapel Gallery (01 JUL 19:00 – FREE online event / Donation suggested).
- BLACK PANTHER d. Ryan Coogler, 2018 at Bar Elba SE1 (01 JUL 21:30).
- HOUSE PARTY d. Reginald Hudlin, 1990 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (01 JUL 21:30).
- KNIVES OUT d. Rian Johnson, 2019 at The Luna Cinema at Brockwell Park (01 JUL 21:15).
- THE LOST BOYS d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (01 JUL 21:15).
- Architecture Film Festival London (02 to 27 JUN).
- Bagri Foundation London Indian Film Festival (17 JUN to 04 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN to JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SERET International Israeli Film Festival (21 to 28 JUN).
- Roofstock weekender at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (25 to 27 JUN).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 06 JUL).
SUPERNOVA d. Harry Macqueen, 2020
- Daily, inc: Archlight Cinema / Arthouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / The Lexi / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
- Also (other films/venues may be available!): ACASA, MY HOME d. Radu Ciorniciuc, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 25 JUN to 01 JUL) // A SPACE IN TIME d. Riccardo Servini & Nick Taussig, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (various dates) // FATIMA d. Marco Pontecorvo, 2020 at Peckhamplex (daily 25 JUN to 01 JUL) // THE FILMMAKER’S HOUSE d. Marc Isaacs, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse, Catford Mews & Rio Cinema (daily 25 JUN to 01 JUL) // SING, FREETOWN d. Clive Patterson, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 25 JUN to 01 JUL) // SPARKLING: THE STORY OF CHAMPAGNE d. Frank Mannion, 2021 at Ciné Lumière (24 JUN 18:15 / 26 JUN 16:30 / 27 JUN 15:45 / 29 JUN 18:30) // UNDERGODS d. Chino Moya, 2020 at Catford Mews (daily 29 JUN to 01 JUL various times).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.