THURSDAY: What’s on in London today [09/03/23]
THURSDAY 09 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
Architecture on Film: ROBIN HOOD GARDENS + THE SMITHSONS ON HOUSING d. Thomas Beyer & Adrian Dorschner, 2022 + B.S. Johnson, 1970 + Q&A with Thomas Beyer & Adrian Dorschner at Barbican (09 MAR 20:00).
“Join Barbican for an evening debating one of the twentieth century’s most contested and emblematic modern buildings, from its conception to its afterlife, across two films and 50 years.”
“In an interview for the BBC, The Smithsons on Housing (1970), Robin Hood Gardens architects Alison and Peter Smithson discuss the genesis of their under construction project, alongside hopes and fears for it, architecture and London. 50 years later, on the brink of its demolition, the documentary Robin Hood Gardens (2022) maps the legacy of the experimental Brutalist housing estate, building a nuanced conversation on the limits of architecture’s capacity for social good through a multitude of present-day interviews and perspectives.”
After the UK premiere of their film, a ScreenTalk with directors Thomas Beyer and Adrian Dorschner, chaired by Ellis Woodman (Director, Architecture Foundation) continues the discussion. Curated by the Architecture Foundation.
- CHARM CIRCLE d. Nira Burstein, 2021 at Everyman Belsize Park (09 MAR 18:40).
- THE COMEDY d. Rick Alverson, 2012 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (09 MAR 18:45).
- FASHION REIMAGINED d. Becky Hutner, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Olympic Studios (09 MAR 17:40).
- HOW DARE YOU HAVE SUCH A RUBBISH WISH d. Mania Akbari, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Barbican (09 MAR 18:15).
- IF…. d. Lindsay Anderson, 1968 + Q&A with David Anderson at The Garden Cinema (09 MAR 20:00).
- MINARI d. Lee Isaac Chung, 2020 presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Centre (09 MAR 19:45).
- Architecture on Film: ROBIN HOOD GARDENS + THE SMITHSONS ON HOUSING d. Thomas Beyer & Adrian Dorschner, 2022 + B.S. Johnson, 1970 + Q&A with Thomas Beyer & Adrian Dorschner at Barbican (09 MAR 20:00).
- ROCK ‘N’ ROLL NIGHTMARE d. John Fasano, 1987 + Cabaret with Alotta Nerve & Loose Willis, presented by The Witch of Popcorn at Folklore (09 MAR 19:30).
- THE WHALE d. Darren Aronofsky, 2022 at The David Lean (09 MAR 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
- Preview: WINNERS d. Hassan Nazer, 2022 + Q&A with the director & producer Nadira Murray at BFI Southbank (09 MAR 18:15).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CINEMA PARADISO 35mm aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 (09 MAR 21:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (09 MAR 20:25).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- CREED III d. Michael B. Jordan, 2023 (03 to 09 MAR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- PERFECT BLUE d. Satoshi Kon, 1997 (09 MAR 12:45).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- TOUKI BOUKI d. Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973 + Intro by Bamba Diop (09 MAR 18:00).
IVOR CUTLER AND THE ECCENTRIC MISCELLANY at BFI Southbank
- Bruce Lacey, The Alberts and more + Intro by William Fowler, BFI Archive Curator (09 MAR 20:45).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 2= VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 (09 MAR 14:30).
- 6= 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (09 MAR 18:00 – 70mm).
- 10= SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN d. Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1951 + Intro by Miles Eady (09 MAR 18:10).
- 9= MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA aka Chelovek s kino-apparatom d. Dziga Vertov, 1929 (09 MAR 20:50).
- 18= PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 (09 MAR 21:05).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (09 MAR 13:00).
WEIMAR CINEMA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI d. Conrad Veidt, 1920 (09 MAR various).
- Busting the Bias (03 to 05 MAR).
- Cinema Made In Italy (09 to 13 MAR).
- Donne di Mafia, Having a Voice (04 to 05 MAR).
- Glasgow Film Festival (01 to 12 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Mountain Film Festival (20 FEB to 05 MAR).
- Stardance Animation Festival (03 to 12 MAR).
CLOSE dir Lukas Dhont, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
CREED III dir Michael B Jordan, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
FASHION REIMAGINED dir Becky Hutner, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 03 to 09 MAR (various dates/times):
- BUCK AND THE PREACHER d. Sidney Poitier, 1972 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- ELECTRIC MALADY d. Marie Lidén, 2022 at: ICA.
- EVA’S PROMISE d. Steve McCarthy, 2022 at: JW3 (from 06 MAR).
- I’M FINE (THANKS FOR ASKING) d. Angelique Molina & Kelley Kali, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- SUBJECT d. Camilla Hall & Jennifer Tiexier, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.