THURSDAY 11 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
AN ACTOR’S REVENGE 4k d. Kon Ichikawa, 1963 + Intro by Jennifer Coates at BFI (11 NOV 20:40) / Part of JAPAN 2021.
- “Made to celebrate star Kazuo Hasegawa’s 300th performance in cinema, this gender-fluid period film casts him in a dual role as the sardonic gentleman thief Yamitaro and the vengeful onnagata (female impersonator in the kabuki theatre) pursuing the villains responsible for his parents’ suicide. Hasegawa’s versatile acting, Ichikawa’s flamboyant mise-en-scène and the incongruously eclectic musical score combine to make this an unforgettable cinematic experience.”
- AN ACTOR’S REVENGE 4k d. Kon Ichikawa, 1963 + Intro by Jennifer Coates at BFI (11 NOV 20:40).
- ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2020 at The David Lean (11 NOV 14:30).
- BACK TO THE FUTURE d. Robert Zemeckis, 1985 at The Prince Charles (11 NOV 15:30).
- Down Bad Down Under surprise double-bill short + feature film presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (11 NOV 21:00).
- DR. STRANGELOVE 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1964 at The Prince Charles (11 NOV 12:25 – £1 Member Screening).
- Female Archetypes in Classical Japanese Cinema at BFI (11 NOV 18:10).
- GONE, GONE BEYOND by People Like Us (aka Vicki Bennett) 360-degree cinematic installation at Barbican (10 to 13 NOV various).
- HIGH HOPES d. Mike Leigh, 1998 at BFI (11 NOV 18:00).
- HOUSE aka Hausu d. Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977 at The Prince Charles (11 NOV 18:00).
- HOUSE OF BAMBOO d. Samuel Fuller, 1955 at BFI (11 NOV 14:30).
- JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH d. Shaka King, 2021 at The David Lean (11 NOV 19:30).
- Kino Shorts short film programme at Kino Bermondsey (11 NOV 20:30).
- Mascara Film Club #20 artists’ short film programme at Mascara Bar (11 NOV 19:30).
- MEANTIME d. Mike Leigh, 1983 at BFI (11 NOV 20:45).
- Rita Says and The Jerico Orchestra: I FOUND MALEVICH d. Ron Pollard, 2021 + Q&A with Rita Says at The Horse Hospital (11 NOV 19:00).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 + Interval at BFI (until 11 NOV various).
- Short films by Radu Jude at ICA (11 NOV 20:40).
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 at The Prince Charles (11 NOV 14:40).
- ZODIAC 35mm d. David Fincher, 2007 at The Prince Charles (11 NOV 20:25).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (09 to 14 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- UK Green Film Festival (03 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
7 PRISONERS aka 7 Prisioneiros d. Alexandre Moratto, 2021.
AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988.
- Also (05 to 11 NOV various dates/times): BULL d. Paul Andrew Williams, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // THE CARD COUNTER d. Paul Schrader, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // MEN WHO SING d. Dylan Williams, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.