THURSDAY 12 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD d. Benh Zeitlin, 2012 presented by No Planet B at Catford Mews (12 AUG 20:00).
- “Set in a fictional community in the Deep South, Benh Zeitlin’s debut feature explores a world impacted by rising sea levels, with references to Hurricane Katrina. Screening with BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD is IRMA, an animated short film about a little girl anticipating the arrival of a hurricane on a Caribbean island. The screening will feature a video introduction by Lisa Cruz, director and animator of IRMA.”
- No Planet B is an environmental film club inspiring activism through cinema.
- ALMOST FAMOUS 4K d. Cameron Crowe, 2000 at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 17:45).
- AS TEARS GO BY aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at Picturehouse Cinemas (12 AUG various)
- BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD d. Benh Zeitlin, 2012 presented by No Planet B at Catford Mews (12 AUG 20:00).
- EL FATHER PLAYS HIMSELF d. Mo Scarpelli, 2020 at ICA (12 AUG 20:50).
- THE GRADUATE d. Mike Nichols, 1967 at Olympic Studios (12 AUG 20:20).
- HEAT 35MM d. Michael Mann, 1995 at The Prince Charles (12 AUG 20:00).
- JAZZ ON SCREEN: BOBBY MCFERRIN & JAMES BROWN presented by Stingray DJazz at Riverside Studios (12 AUG 18:00).
- MARKED WOMAN 35MM d. Lloyd Bacon, 1937 at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 20:40).
- THE MISSION d. Roland Joffé, 1986 at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 20:30).
- THE NEW WORLD d. Terrence Malick, 2005 at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 14:30).
- OF HUMAN BONDAGE d. John Cromwell, 1934 at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 18:00).
- PARASITE: BLACK & WHITE EDITION d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at The Prince Charles (12 AUG 20:30).
- PRIDE & PROTEST d. Blaise Singh, 2020 + Q&A with the director & guests at Genesis Cinema (12 AUG 18:20).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4K d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI Southbank (12 AUG 20:50) / Part of Cinema Rediscovered on Tour.
- Surprise Film at Picturehouse Cinemas d. ? (12 AUG various).
- THREE COLOURS: RED 35MM d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 at The Prince Charles (12 AUG 13:30).
- TOKYO STORY 35MM aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 at The Prince Charles (12 AUG 17:30).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY d. Bryan Singer, 2018 at The Luna Cinema at Kensington Palace (12 AUG 20:30).
- CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (12 AUG 20:30).
- FIGHT CLUB d. David Fincher, 1999 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (12 AUG 20:30).
- LOCAL HERO d. Bill Forsyth, 1983 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (12 AUG 18:00).
- TRAINSPOTTING d. Danny Boyle, 1996 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (12 AUG 20:45).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Also (06 to 12 AUG various): GOODFELLAS 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 AUG various) // PROFILE d. Timur Bekmambetov, 2018 at Rich Mix (06 to 12 AUG various) // WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 (daily 06 to 12 AUG various).
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- Irish Film Festival London in venues & online (16 to 20 NOV 2022)
- ALT/KINO presents OJOBOCA: True Counterfeits + Q&A at ICA (19 NOV 2022)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.