THURSDAY 13 JANUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
The Cinema of Edward Owens (13 JAN 18:15) / Part of EXPERIMENTS IN FILM at Barbican.
“Working in the late 60s, Edward Owens created a series of films which were largely forgotten until re-discovery in 2009. This is the first chance to see all four of Owens’ films together in the UK. As a queer African American filmmaker, working in the 60s, his films are rare examples of a Black queer voice and viewing them over five decades after they were created, they remain fascinating, fleeting glimpses of an artist whom, by 1970, would leave New York, leave film behind and remain largely forgotten, until rediscovery by curator Ed Halter in 2009, two months before he would pass away aged 60.”
THURSDAY 13 JAN
- Projecting The Archive: HOFFMAN 35mm d. Alvin Rakoff, 1969 + Intro by the director at BFI Southbank (13 JAN 18:15).
- WEST SIDE STORY d. Steven Spielberg, 2021 at The David Lean Cinema (13 JAN 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE FILMS IN TRUFFAUT’S LIFE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES d. Howard Hawks, 1953 (13 JAN 18:10).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (until 13 JAN).
EXPERIMENTS IN FILM at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Cinema of Edward Owens (13 JAN 18:15).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Antoine Doinel cycle: BED AND BOARD 4K aka Domicile Conjugal d. François Truffaut, 1970 (13 JAN 20:45).
HUMAN RESOURCES at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for listings): ARAYA d. Margot Benacerraf, 1959 (13 JAN 20:15 – rearranged from 03 DEC 2021).
- Curated by Ryan Ninesling. Presented in partnership with the National Film & Television School.
JULIA DUCOURNAU at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (until 13 JAN); RAW d. Julia Ducournau, 2016 (13 JAN 18:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 (13 JAN 13:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (until 13 JAN).
- London International Mime Festival (25 JAN to 05 FEB).
- London Short Film Festival (14 to 23 JAN).
- Night Of Ideas (27 JAN).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (20 JAN to 04 FEB).
- Also (07 to 13 JAN, various dates/times): A HERO aka Ghahreman d. Asghar Farhadi, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema // MINYAN d. Eric Steel, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // MUNICH: THE EDGE OF WAR d. Christian Schwochow, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Cinema // OTHER, LIKE ME d. Marcus Werner Hed & Dan Fox, 2020 at: ICA.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.