THURSDAY 13 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Architecture On Film: BALNEARIOS d. Mariano Llinás, 2002 at Barbican (13 JUL 19:00).
“Blurring sharp social geography with the sardonic wit of a master storyteller, Llinás’ (La Flor, Extraordinary Stories) debut feature offers a ‘documentary’ in four chapters.
A portrait of four Argentine bathing resorts unfolds a journey from the sea to the provinces, via a noirish parable of a phantasmagoric hotel, a granular sociology of the beach, a trip to a mysterious Atlantis and an encounter with the enigmatic Zucco. Llinás’ bemused fascination and labyrinthine interrogation of “the multi-purpose stadium” of the sand and the “pharaonic cities” built beside it, results in a rare gem.” Curated by the Architecture Foundation.
- A KIND OF KIDNAPPING d. Dan Clark, 2023 + Q&A with cast & crew at Regent Street Cinema (13 JUL 19:30).
- A ROOM WITH A VIEW d. James Ivory, 1985 in memory of Julian Sands at Olympic Studios (13 JUL 13:20).
- Architecture On Film: BALNEARIOS d. Mariano Llinás, 2002 at Barbican (13 JUL 19:00).
- BECTU Short Film Night at The Courthouse Hotel (13 JUL 19:00 – FREE!).
- CARMEN d. Benjamin Millepied, 2022 at The David Lean (13 JUL 14:30 & 19:30).
- FRANCES HA d. Noah Baumbach, 2012 at Chiswick Cinema (13 JUL 19:40).
- THE GREEN YEARS aka Os Verdes Anos d. Paolo Rocha, 1963 at ICA (13 JUL 18:40 / 16 JUL 14:15).
- MY EXTINCTION d. Josh Appignanesi, 2023 + Q&A with the director at The Castle Cinema (13 JUL 18:45).
- No Borders Film & Poetry Night + Q&A at Rich Mix (13 JUL 17:30).
- SQUARING THE CIRCLE (THE STORY OF HIPGNOSIS) d. Anton Corbijn, 2022 + Q&A with Aubrey “Po” Powell at Curzon Soho (13 JUL 18:20).
- Classics: TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI d. Jacques Becker, 1954 at Ciné Lumière (13 JUL 16:20).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- SPACE JAM 35mm d. Joe Pytka, 1996 (13 JUL 15:45).
- BOXCAR BERTHA 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1972 (13 JUL 15:55).
- AFTER HOURS 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1985 (13 JUL 18:30).
- MYSTERY MOVIE 35mm d. ??? (13 JUL 20:35).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – DEAD RECKONING PART ONE d. Christopher McQuarrie, 2023 (10 to 20 JUL).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- NOTRE MUSIQUE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 2004 (13 JUL 20:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT 35mm aka The Young Ladies of Rochefort d. Jacques Demy, 1967 (13 JUL 20:30).
- ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS d. Douglas Sirk, 1955 (13 JUL 20:40).
FOUR FILMS BY CHANTAL AKERMAN at The Prince Charles
- NO HOME MOVIE d. Chantal Akerman, 2015 (13 JUL 18:00).
MAKING MAGIC: 100 YEARS OF DISNEY at BFI Southbank
- And They All Lived Happily After: ALICE IN WONDERLAND d. Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske, 1951 (13 JUL 18:10).
SPOTLIGHT ON FEMALE FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- THE PIANO d. Jane Campion, 1993 (13 JUL 13:00).
Check venues for full listings…
THE LUNA CINEMA at Kenwood NW3
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (13 JUL 21:15).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Ashes Of Time – Chinese Film Festival (07 to 09 JUL).
- The Earl’s Court International Film Festival Highlights (12 JUL).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 15 JUL).
- Queer Fest (13 to 16 JUL).
- Rob Knox London Film Festival (08 JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- SoHome Horror Pride (29 JUN to 02 JUL – until 08 JUL online).
- Sundance Film Festival London (06 to 09 JUL).
CALENDAR GIRLS dirs Maria Loohufvud & Love Martinsen, 2022
Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse.
Also 07 to 13 JUL (various dates/times):
- SHABU d. Shamira Raphaëla, 2023 at: Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- SMOKING CAUSES COUGHING d. Quentin Dupieux, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- WHERE IS THIS STREET? OR WITH NO BEFORE AND AFTER aka Onde Fica Esta Rua? Ou Sem Antes Nem Depois d. João Pedro Rodrigues & João Rui Guerra da Mata, 2022 at: ICA (from 13 JUL).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.