THURSDAY 16 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
POSSESSED d. Curtis Bernhardt, 1947 presented by Lobotomy Room Film Club at Fontaines Bar (16 SEP 20:00 – Free/Email to reserve a seat).
- “Love her and she’ll love you back. Leave her – and she’ll love you to death!”
- “See the whiplash mood swings of Joan Crawford as a woman-on-the-verge-of-a-nervous breakdown when the Lobotomy Room Film Club presents gripping 1947 psychological melodrama POSSESSED!”
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at Picturehouse Central (16 SEP 20:30).
- AREN’T YOU HAPPY d. Susanne Heinrich, 2018 + Q&A with the director at ICA (16 SEP 18:30).
- ARRIVAL d. Denis Villeneuve, 2016 at BFI (16 SEP 20:45).
- AUGUST 32ND ON EARTH 35mm aka Un 32 août sur terre d. Denis Villeneuve, 1998 at BFI (16 SEP 18:20).
- BABYLON d. Franco Rosso, 1980 + Q&A at The Lexi (16 SEP 19:45).
- BLADE RUNNER d. Ridley Scott, 1982 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (16 SEP 19:30).
- BUSTING 35mm d. Peter Hyams, 1974 at The Prince Charles (16 SEP 18:20).
- FACES PLACES aka Visages Villages d. Agnès Varda, 2017 presented by Sydenham Arts Film Club at the Sydenham Centre (16 SEP 19:30).
- GUMMO d. Harmony Korine, 1977 presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (16 SEP 21:10 – Free pint!).
- HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2020 + Recorded Q&A at Regent Street Cinema (16 SEP 17:40).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily until 16 SEP various).
- KAAMELOTT: FIRST INSTALMENT aka Kaamelott: Premier Volet d. Alexandre Astier, 2021 at Ciné Lumière (16 SEP 20:30).
- KABUL, CITY IN THE WIND d. Aboozar Amini, 2018 at ICA (16 SEP 16:15).
- THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE 35mm d. John Cassavetes, 1974 at The Prince Charles (16 SEP 20:30).
- LAURA d. Otto Preminger, 1944 at BFI (16 SEP 14:30).
- THE LONG GOODBYE 35mm d. Robert Altman, 1973 at The Prince Charles (16 SEP 15:45).
- THE MAN WHO SOLD HIS SKIN aka L’Homme qui a vendu sa peau d. Kaouther Ben Hania, 2020 at BFI (16 SEP 20:50).
- MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 at The Prince Charles (10 to 16 SEP various).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at Regent Street Cinema (16 SEP 15:00).
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY d. George Cukor, 1940 at The Prince Charles (16 SEP 13:15).
- POSSESSED d. Curtis Bernhardt, 1947 presented by Lobotomy Room Film Club at Fontaines Bar (16 SEP 20:00 – Free/Email to reserve a seat).
- Richard Pryor: A Comedy Genius panel discussion at BFI (16 SEP 18:15).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at ICA (16 SEP 20:50).
- TEMPLE GRANDIN d. Mick Jackson, 2010 + Q&A with Dr David Hartley & Dr Bonnie Evans at Barbican (16 SEP 18:30).
- ME, WE d. David Clay Diaz, 2020 presented by Austrian Cultural Forum (16 SEP 17:00 – Register in advance to receive a link/password).
- BRIDGET JONES’ DIARY d. Sharon Maguire, 2001 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (16 SEP 20:00).
- FREE GUY d. Shawn Levy, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (16 SEP 20:00).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at The Luna Cinema at Royal Hospital Chelsea (16 SEP 19:30).
- Banglaverse Film Festival (16 to 18 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Ethiopian Film Week (10 to 14 SEP).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Leytonstone Loves Film 2021 (15 to 19 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Also (10 to 16 SEP various dates/times): HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios // THE SPARKS BROTHERS d. Edgar Wright, 2021 at: The Prince Charles.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.