THURSDAY 18 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
FLAME OF THE ISLANDS d. Edward Ludwig, 1955 presented by Lobotomy Room at Fontaine’s Bar (18 MAY 20:00 – FREE!).
“The story of a café singer who buys a gambling casino, and the men who fall in love with her.”
Free monthly film club in the Bamboo Lounge. Devoted to ‘Bad Movies We Love’ Specialising in the Kitsch, the Cult and the Queer!
- A Nasty Screening short film programme + Panel discussion presented by Sex and Rage at Close-Up (18 MAY 19:00).
- Becoming short film programme + Q&A with the filmmakers, presented by Generation 2030 and Red Sea Film Festival Foundation at Rich Mix (18 MAY 19:45).
- FARHA d. Darin J. Sallam, 2021 presented by The Arab Film Club & Bethlehem Cultural Festival at The Prince Charles (18 MAY 18:00).
- FLAME OF THE ISLANDS d. Edward Ludwig, 1955 presented by Lobotomy Room at Fontaine’s Bar (18 MAY 20:00 – FREE!).
- FLEE d. Jonas Poher Rasmussen, 2021 presented by Highgate Film Society at HLSI (18 MAY 19:30).
- HEAT d. Michael Mann, 1995 at The Cinema in the Power Station (18 MAY 19:45).
- Pink Palace: KAMIKAZE HEARTS d. Juliet Bashore, 1986 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (18 MAY 19:30).
- RYE LANE d. Raine Allen-Miller, 2023 at The David Lean (18 MAY 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (18 MAY 15:20).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 3D d. James Gunn, 2023 (until 18 MAY).
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 d. James Gunn, 2023 (until 18 MAY).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: BATMAN BEGINS IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2005 (18 MAY 20:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- STILL WALKING aka Aruitemo Aruitemo d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008 (18 MAY 18:10).
CINEMATIC SORCERESS: THE FILMS OF NINA MENKES at BFI Southbank
- New release: BRAINWASHED: SEX-CAMERA-POWER d. Nina Menkes, 2022 (12 to 25 MAY).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 (18 MAY 21:00 – 4K).
- SAFETY LAST! d. Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923 (18 MAY 12:20).
COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER at BFI IMAX
- BATMAN BEGINS IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2005 (18 MAY 20:00).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- THE CAT O’ NINE TAILS aka Il gatto a nove code 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1971 (18 MAY 20:45).
GENESIS 24TH BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 + Intro/salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective (18 MAY 18:05).
- OLDBOY d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (18 MAY 21:00).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- OSLO, AUGUST 31ST d. Joachim Trier, 2011 (18 MAY 18:15).
MUKHRIJAT: ARAB WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (until 18 MAY).
- BETWEEN HEAVEN AND EARTH d. Najwa Najjar, 2019 (18 MAY 20:45).
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- THE PASSIONATE STRANGER aka A Novel Affair 4K Restoration d. Muriel Box, 1956 (18 MAY 18:20).
- THE TRUTH ABOUT WOMEN 4K Restoration d. Muriel Box, 1958 (18 MAY 20:40).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #13 – LA RÈGLE DU JEU d. Jean Renoir, 1939 (18 MAY 15:45).
SKIP NORMAN: HERE AND THERE at ICA & Goethe-Institut
- The DFFB Years (18 MAY 18:45).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- A TOUCH OF SIN d. Zhang-Ke Jia, 2013 (18 MAY 12:30).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- PRETTY WOMAN (18 MAY 20:50).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- SING STREET (18 MAY 20:50).
- Beyond Words French Literature Festival (12 to 21 MAY).
- In Short: Europe Awakening (12 to 13 MAY).
- LOCO London Comedy Film Festival (11 to 14 MAY).
- SERET Israeli Film & TV Festival (18 to 25 MAY).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (11 to 23 MAY).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 14 MAY).
Also 12 to 18 MAY (various dates/times):
- BITTERBRUSH d. Emelie Mahdavian, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- THE DAM d. Ali Cherri, 2022 at: Barbican / ICA.
- THE FABULOUS ONES aka Le favolose d. Roberta Torre, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.