THURSDAY 18 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD d. Radu Jude, 2009 at ICA (18 NOV 13:45) / Part of IN FOCUS: RADU JUDE.
- “One of the landmark works in the Romanian film renaissance, Radu Jude’s debut feature is a perfectly paced and darkly funny satire on contemporary life. THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD tackles the vacuity of advertising, the modern obsession with celebrity and the power of parental greed with brilliant economy, aided by a note-perfect cast.”
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored version’ at The Prince Charles (18 NOV 20:15).
- ALIDA d. Mimmo Verdesca, 2020 + Intro by the director presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Garden Cinema (18 NOV 19:00).
- A Selection of Short Films presented by Odelay Films at The Prince Charles (18 NOV 17:45 – FREE).
- Russian Movie Night: AUTUMN MARATHON aka Osenniy marafon d. Georgiy Daneliya, 1979 at Close-Up (18 NOV 19:15).
- BLADE 4K d. Stephen Norrington, 1998 + Recorded intro by Dr Adilifu Nama, author of Super Black: American Pop Culture and Black Superheroes at Barbican (18 NOV 20:10).
- BONJOUR TRISTESSE d. Otto Preminger, 1958 presented by Lobotomy Room at Fontaine’s Bar (18 NOV 20:00 – FREE).
- EARLY SUMMER 4k aka Bakushû d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1951 + Intro by Professor Alastair Phillips at BFI Southbank (18 NOV 20:20).
- The Family and Home in the Golden Age of Japanese Cinema at BFI Southbank (18 NOV 18:00).
- THE HAND OF GOD aka È Stata La Mano Di Dio d. Paolo Sorrentino, 2021 at BFI Southbank (18 NOV 18:30).
- THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD d. Radu Jude, 2009 at ICA (18 NOV 13:45).
- HARD EIGHT aka Sydney d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1996 at The Prince Charles (18 NOV 18:10).
- LA DOLCE VITA d. Federico Fellini, 1960 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (18 NOV 19:30).
- THE LAST BUS d. Gillies MacKinnon, 2021 at The David Lean (18 NOV 14:30 & 19:30).
- Basma Alsharif’s OUROBOROS + a live-streamed music performance by Catherine Feliz presented by The Care-fuffle Collective at The Horse Hospital (18 NOV 19:00) / Part of REPEATED APPARITIONS.
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 at BFI Southbank (until 18 NOV various).
- THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS 4k d. Jonathan Demme, 1991 at BFI Southbank (18 NOV 14:40).
- WOHIN UND ZURÜCK PART III – WELCOME IN VIENNA d. Axel Corti, 1986 at Austrian Cultural Forum (18 NOV 19:00 – FREE).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival (12 to 21 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (09 to 14 NOV).
- Irish Film Festival London (17 to 21 NOV).
- Italian London Short Film Festival (14 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Ocean Film Festival (16 to 24 NOV).
- UK Green Film Festival (03 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
- Also (12 to 18 NOV various dates/times): AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON d. John Landis, 1981 at: The Prince Charles // THE COLOUR ROOM d. Claire McCarthy, 2021 at: Everyman Muswell Hill // CRY MACHO d. Clint Eastwood, 2021 at: Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at: The Prince Charles // MALMKROG d. Cristi Puiu, 2020 at: ICA // MOTHERING SUNDAY d. Eva Husson, 2021 at: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios // NAKED 4k d. Mike Leigh, 1993 at: BFI Southbank // NATURAL LIGHT d. Dénes Nagy, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas // PROCESSION d. Robert Greene, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // TICK, TICK…BOOM! d. Lin-Manuel Miranda, 2021 at: The Prince Charles.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.