THURSDAY 19 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN d. Jack Arnold, 1957 (19 MAY 14:30) / BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank.
“A landmark sci-fi classic with a superb script by Richard Matheson, this examines the protagonist’s changing relationship with his wife and his immediate environment when he starts diminishing in size following a strange, perhaps radioactive incident. Imaginative and gripping as a thriller, the film is also philosophically insightful and incisive as a pulp-fuelled meditation on questions of humanity and existence.” (BFI)
- DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES d. Terence Davies, 1988 presented by Highgate Film Society at HLSI (19 MAY 20:00) / Followed by a FREE online discussion (20 MAY 17:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: Labour, Creativity & Freedom: Solidarity Film Screening at Pushkin House (19 MAY 19:00) / Also available online (20 MAY 18:00 to 21 MAY 18:00).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 at Close-Up (19 MAY 20:00).
- MicroActs 11: An Evening of International Artist Film at VFDalston (19 MAY 18:00 – FREE!).
- OPERATION MINCEMEAT d. John Madden, 2021 at The David Lean (19 MAY 14:30 & 19:30).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (19 MAY 21:00).
- SONG OF SONGS d. Rouben Mamoulian, 1933 presented by Lobotomy Room at Fontaine’s Bar (19 MAY 20:00 – FREE!).
Check venues for full listings…
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- A VIEW TO A KILL d. John Glen, 1985 (19 MAY 15:30 – 4K).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Studio Ghibli: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES aka Hotaru no Haka d. Isao Takahata, 1988 + Intro by Alex Dudok de Wit, author of BFI Film Classics: Grave of the Fireflies (19 MAY 18:00).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- THE VELVET QUEEN aka La Panthère des neiges d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (until 23 MAY).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN d. Jack Arnold, 1957 (19 MAY 14:30).
- JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia d. Roberto Rossellini, 1954 (19 MAY 18:10).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- IN MY SKIN 35mm aka Dans ma peau d. Marina de Van, 2000 (19 MAY 20:40).
- Talks etc: Horror à la Française recorded panel discussion (online 11 to 31 MAY).
- Releases: VORTEX d. Gaspar Noé, 2021 (until 26 MAY).
GASPAR NOÉ at Genesis Cinema
- ENTER THE VOID d. Gaspar Noé, 2009 (19 MAY 20:55).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- MURBER BY NUMBERS + THE HITCHHIKER: W.G.O.D. d. Mike Hodges, 2004 + 1985 (19 MAY 18:30).
- FLASH GORDON d. Mike Hodges, 1980 (19 MAY 20:20).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (19 MAY 12:15).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- FOREST GUMP (19 MAY 21:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- LOVE & BASKETBALL (19 MAY 21:00).
- Beyond Words French Literature Festival (16 to 22 MAY).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 13 MAY).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- Queer East Film Festival (18 to 29 MAY).
- Sci-Fi London (19 to 22 MAY).
- SERET International Israeli Film Festival (12 to 19 MAY).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 15 MAY 2022).
- Village Screen Film Week (10 to 15 MAY).
THE DROVER’S WIFE: THE LEGEND OF MOLLY JOHNSON dir. Leah Purcell, 2021:
- Also 13 to 19 MAY (various dates/times): FIRESTARTER d. Keith Thomas, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // THE WALL OF SHADOWS d. Eliza Kubarska, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHO KILLED THE KLF? d. Chris Atkins, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.