THURSDAY: What’s on in London today [20/04/23]
THURSDAY 20 APR 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
THE EVIL DEAD d. Sam Raimi, 1981 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (20 APR 18:45).
“Ahead of the much-anticipated release of EVIL DEAD RISE, join Nick Walker of Rochester Kino for a special screening of THE EVIL DEAD. (Re)Discover the film on the big screen, and meet with Nick and fellow film-lovers after the screening to share your impressions!”
“Five friends travel to a cabin in the woods, where they unknowingly release flesh-possessing demons. Contains: strong bloody violence, scene of sexual violence.” (Genesis Cinema)
- A CLEVER WOMAN d. Jon Sanders, 2022 + Q&A with the director, co-producer/actor Anna Mottram & actors Josie Lawrence & Tanya Mayers at The Garden Cinema (20 APR 20:25).
- DESERT FURY d. Lewis Allen, 1946 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (20 APR 19:30).
- THE EVIL DEAD d. Sam Raimi, 1981 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (20 APR 18:45).
- THE FATHER d. Florian Zeller, 2020 presented by Highgate Film Society at HLSI (20 APR 19:30).
- HIJACKED: FLIGHT 73 d. Ben Anthony, 2022 at The Prince Charles (20 APR 15:15).
- MY SAILOR, MY LOVE d. Klaus Härö, 2022 at The David Lean (20 APR 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (20 APR 19:30).
- Czech Documentary Now: PUTIN’S WITNESSES d. Vitaly Mansky, 2018 + Discussion with Dr Jade McGlynn at Czech Centre at the Czech Embassy Cinema (20 APR 19:00).
- SECRET CEREMONY d. Joseph Losey, 1968 presented by Lobotomy Room at Fontaine’s Bar (20 APR 20:00 – FREE!).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS 35mm d. Frank Oz, 1988 (20 APR 21:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (until 20 APR).
- THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE d. Aaron Horvath & Michael Jelenic, 2023 (until 22 APR).
- ANIME: SUZUME [Subtitled] d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (14 to 27 APR); SUZUME [Subtitled] d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 + Intro by Michael Leader & Jake Cunningham, co-hosts of the podcast Ghibliotheque (20 APR 18:00).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- THE END OF EVANGELION d. Hideaki Anno & Kazuya Tsurumaki, 1997 (20 APR 15:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- AGUIRRE, WRATH OF GOD aka Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes d. Werner Herzog, 1973 (20 APR 18:15).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen, Ethan Coen, 1998 (20 APR 12:45).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BAMAKO d. Abderrahmane Sissako, 2006 (20 APRIL 18:00 + Intro & discussion with Keith Shiri).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- KITTY FOYLE: THE NATURAL HISTORY OF A WOMAN 35mm d. Sam Wood, 1940 (20 APR 20:40).
- Re-release: TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 (07 to 20 APR).
IN FOCUS: ALBERT SERRA at Ciné Lumière & ICA
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 + Intro by the director at Ciné Lumière (20 APR 19:45).
- Talks etc: In Conversation With Albert Serra at Ciné Lumière (20 APR 18:20).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- LETTER TO BREZHNEV d. Chris Bernard, 1985 (20 APR 20:50).
SPOTLIGHT ON FEMALE FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- THE WOMAN KING d. Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2022 (20 APR 18:10).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
LOVING HIGHSMITH dir. Eva Vitija, 2022.
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
ONE FINE MORNING dir. Mia Hansen-Løve, 2022.
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
SUZUME [Subtitled] aka すずめの戸締まり dir. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (check venues for dubbed versions).
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix
Also 14 to 20 APR (various dates/times):
- CAIRO CONSPIRACY dir. Tarik Saleh, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- RAGING BULL dir. Martin Scorsese, 1980 at: BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Riverside Studios.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.