THURSDAY 21 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE SCARY OF SIXTY-FIRST d. Dasha Nekrasova, 2021 + Q&A with the director & actors Madeline Quinn & Betsey Brown presented by Deeper Into Movies at Rio Cinema (21 APR 20:30):
“The feature film debut of actor and ‘Red Scare’ podcast host Dasha Nekrasova is a wild, wickedly witty and thoroughly creepy tale of haunting and possession set against the real-world backdrop of the crimes of Jeffrey Epstein. Two friends searching for an apartment on Manhattan’s Upper East Side come across what appears to be the perfect space, albeit one that’s suspiciously empty and affordable. When one of the young women finds herself taken over by a presence within the apartment, the other sets out to investigate further and uncovers a psycho-geographical web of secret histories and dark conspiracies.” (Deeper Into Movies)
London Premiere. The film will be followed by a Q&A with Dasha Nekrasova, Madeline Quinn and Betsey Brown.
- ALI & AVA d. Clio Barnard, 2021 at The David Lean (21 APR 14:30 & 19:30).
- CHAOS d. Sara Fattahi, 2018 part of CineClub at Austrian Cultural Forum (21 APR 19:00 – FREE!).
- FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS d. Terry Gilliam, 1998 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rioli Ballroom (21 APR 19:30).
- Film Talks Live: William Raban and John Smith film screening + Q&A with the filmmakers at Close-Up (21 APR 20:15).
- THE FULL MONTY d. Peter Cattaneo, 1997 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (21 APR 19:30).
- Preview: HAPPENING d. Audrey Diwan, 2022 + Panel discussion at Picturehouse Central (21 APR 18:30).
- Short: THE LAST CUCKOO d. Mark Chaudoir + supporting programme & live performance at ActOne Gallery (21 APR 19:30).
- MANNEQUIN d. Michael Gottlieb, 1987 + Intro by Rose Matafeo at The Prince Charles (21 APR 18:40).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Edmund Goulding, 1947 at The Garden Cinema (21 APR 16:00).
- PLAYGROUND d. Laura Wandel, 2021 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (21 APR 18:10).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (21 APR 21:10).
- THE SCARY OF SIXTY-FIRST d. Dasha Nekrasova, 2021 + Q&A with the director & actors Madeline Quinn & Betsey Brown presented by Deeper Into Movies at Rio Cinema (21 MAR 20:30).
- STARSHIP TROOPERS d. Paul Verhoeven, 1997 presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (21 APR 20:55 – With a FREE pint of Truman’s).
- WOMEN’S PRISON d. Lewis Seiler, 1955 presented by Lobotomy Room Film Club at Fontaine’s Bar N16 (21 APR 20:00 – FREE!).
- YOJI YAMADA’S SAMURAI TRILOGY at The Calder Bookshop & Theatre SE1 (21 APR 19:00 / 28 APR 19:00 – Donation requested!).
Check venues for full listings…
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- MOONRAKER d. Lewis Gilbert, 1979 (21 APR 15:45 4K).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- LIZ AND THE BLUE BIRD aka Rizu to aoi tori d. Naoko Yamada, 2018 (21 APR 18:15).
- PATLABOR 2: THE MOVIE aka Kidô keisatsu patorebâ: The Movie 2 d. Mamoru Oshii, 1993 (21 APR 20:30).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- BENEDETTA d. Paul Verhoeven, 2021 (until 28 APR various).
- ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE aka Onoda: 10 000 Nuits dans la jungle d. Arthur Harari, 2021 (until 21 APR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 (21 APR 20:00).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF FRENCH CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE d. Jean Cocteau, 1946 + Intro by Ginette Vincendeau (21 APR 18:30).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 21 APR various).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 28 APR various).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- THE WAYWARD GIRL 4K aka Ung Flukt d. Edith Carlmar, 1959 + Intro by by Anna Smith (21 APR 18:20).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- MURINA d. Antoneta Alamat Kusijanović, 2021 (21 APR 15:10).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
THE NORTHMAN d. Robert Eggers, 2022:
- Also 15 to 21 APR (various dates/times): MARIUPOLIS d. Mantas Kvedaravičius, 2016 at: ICA // ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE d. Arthur Harari, 2021 at: ICA // OPERATION MINCEMEAT d. John Madden, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.