THURSDAY 21 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
BLACK IS… BLACK AIN’T d. Marlon T Riggs, 1994 + Short: HOW TO RAISE A BLACK BOY d. Justice Jamal Jones, 2021 + Intro by programmer Rico Johnson-Sinclair presented by BFI Flare at BFI Southbank (21 OCT 20:40):
- “Marlon T Riggs’ final film, made as he died from AIDS-related complications, directly addresses issues with misogyny and homophobia in the Black community that still exist to this day. Interviews with Marlon himself, from his hospital bed, are interspersed throughout the film and serve as testimony to the work we need to do to be truly united.”
- BLACK IS… BLACK AIN’T d. Marlon T Riggs, 1994 + Short: HOW TO RAISE A BLACK BOY d. Justice Jamal Jones, 2021 presented by BFI Flare at BFI Southbank (21 OCT 20:40).
- DEEP RED d. Dario Argento, 1975 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (21 OCT 18:15).
- EARLY SPRING 4k aka Sôshun d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1956 at BFI (21 OCT 17:30).
- THE FLAVOUR OF GREEN TEA OVER RICE 4k aka Ochazuke no aji d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1952 at BFI (21 OCT 14:40).
- FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN WHITE MASK d. Isaac Julien, 1995 + Discussion at BFI Southbank (21 OCT 18:00) / Part of Experimenta.
- HOCUS POCUS d. Kenny Ortega, 1993 at Backyard Cinema (19 OCT – 13 NOV various).
- ILLUSTRIOUS CORPSES 4k aka Cadaveri eccellenti d. Francesco Rosi, 1976 at BFI (21 OCT 20:30).
- KOYAANISQATSI d. Godfrey Reggio, 1983 at Genesis Cinema (21 OCT 21:00).
- THE LOST BOYS 35mm d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 at The Prince Charles (21 OCT 15:50).
- THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE d. John Frankenheimer, 1962 at BFI (21 OCT 14:15).
- THE MISFITS d. John Huston, 1961 in-venue screening + free online discussion presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (21 OCT 20:00 + 22 OCT 17:00).
- Pan Talks: Film Night short film programme + Q&A with Charlie Phillips * Lindsay Poulton hosted by Reeta Chakrabarti at Rio Cinema (21 OCT 18:00).
- RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 35mm d. Dan O’Bannon, 1985 at The Prince Charles (21 OCT 18:15).
- ROGER THE RAT d. Roger Ballen, 2020 + Zoom Q&A with the director + After Party UK premiere at The Chelsea Theatre (21 OCT 19:00).
- THE RUNNING MAN d. Paul Michael Glaser, 1987 at The Prince Charles (21 OCT 18:25).
- TOKYO STORY 4k aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 at BFI (21 OCT 14:30).
- TOKYO STORY 4k aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 + Inside Cinema: Akira Kurosawa at BFI (21 OCT 20:35).
- TOM PETTY: SOMEWHERE YOU FEEL FREE – THE MAKING OF WILDFLOWERS d. Mary Wharton, 2021 at Barbican (21 OCT 20:40).
- WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at ICA (21 OCT 16:40).
- YOJIMBO d. Akira Kurosawa, 1961 at BFI (21 OCT 17:55).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival – London (11 to 19 OCT).
- BFI London Film Festival (06 to 17 OCT).
- ECOFeminism Short Film Festival (16 OCT).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Also (15 to 21 OCT various dates/times): THE BETA TEST d. Jim Cummings & PJ McCabe, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Prince Charles Cinema // FOUND d. Amanda Lipitz, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // I AM BELMAYA d. Sue Carpenter & Belmaya Nepali, 2021 at: The Castle Cinema // THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF EURÍDICE GUSMÃO d. Karim Aïnouz, 2019 at: Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // THE VELVET UNDERGROUND d. Todd Haynes, 2021 at: Arthouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Cinema In The Arches / ICA / Kiln Theatre / Olympic Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.