THURSDAY 22 JUNE 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 + Live performance by Reggae Choir & DJ set for Windrush 75 at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (22 JUN 19:00).
“Come and enjoy a stone cold classic film from 1972 written, produced and directed by Jamaican born Perry Henzell. THE HARDER THEY COME, is a crime movie masterpiece that has not only delivered a soundtrack that remains one of cinema’s finest, but also helped promote reggae and roots as a cultural force and made the world recognise Jamaica as the innovatively creative hotspot it had always been.
“THE HARDER THEY COME stars a seductive Jimmy Cliff in the role as Ivan Martin, a country boy battling Kingston’s ruthless record labels to make it as a successful musician. Will it be Ivan’s singing talent that brings him his reward, or the seemingly easier option of crime that will provide fortune if not fame?” (Bernie Grant Arts Centre)
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (22 JUN 19:30).
- Experimenta Mixtape S02E03 curated by Mark Leckey at BFI Southbank (22 JUN 18:20).
- FAMINE aka Golod d. Tatyana Sorokina, 2023 + Panel discussion at Genesis Cinema (22 JUN 18:00 – FREE!).
- Girls In Film x Girlhood Studies Screening: Vengeful Girls at The Hoxton, Shepherd’s Bush (22 JUN 10:00).
- THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 + Live performance by Reggae Choir & DJ set for Windrush 75 at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (22 JUN 19:00).
- THE HUNGER d. Tony Scott, 1983 + Q&A with Cathi Unsworth, author of ‘Season of the Witch: The Book of Goth’, presented by Through The Looking Glasses at Rio Cinema (22 JUN 18:30).
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 (22 JUN 14:45 – 4K).
- THE LAST RIDER d. Alex Holmes, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Hackney (22 JUN 20:00).
- LE MEPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 at Olympic Studios (22 JUN 19:30).
- THE SWIMMERS d. Sally El Hosaini, 2022 at Poplar Union (22 JUN 18:00).
- THUG ROSE: MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST d. Marius A. Markevicius, 2022 + Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (22 JUN 18:30 & 21:00).
- WONDROUS OBLIVION d. Paul Morrison, 2003 presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (22 JUN 19:20).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- PAPER MOON 35mm d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1973 (22 JUN 12:15).
- THE DARK KNIGHT RISES 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2012 (22 JUN 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- THE FLASH d. Andres Muschietti, 2023 (14 to 22 JUN).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- OF TIME AND THE CITY d. Terence Davies, 2008 (22 JUN 20:50).
IN FOCUS: PATRICIO GUZMÁN at ICA
- MY IMAGINARY COUNTRY d. Patricio Guzmán, 2023 (until 22 JUN).
KOREAN FILM NIGHTS: LABOURS OF LOVE at Korean Cultural Centre
- TALKING ARCHITECT 말하는 건축가 d. Jeong Jae-eun, 2011 (22 JUN 19:00 – FREE!).
MICHELLE YEOH SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- ROYAL WARRIORS d. David Chung, 1986 (22 JUN 15:45).
MICHEL PICCOLI: A FEARLESS TALENT at BFI Southbank
- MAUVAIS SANG 35mm aka The Night Is Young d. Leos Carax, 1986 (22 JUN 20:40).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (22 JUN 15:50).
- MODERN TIMES d. Charles Chaplin, 1936 (22 JUN 16:00).
WES-TROSPECTIVE at Curzon Cinemas
- RUSHMORE d. Wes Anderson, 1998 (22 JUN various).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- London Festival of Architecture x Brixton Community Cinema (09 JUN to 02 JUL).
- London Indian Film Festival (22 to 29 JUN).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Refugee Week (19 to 25 JUN).
- Windrush Caribbean Film Festival (06 to 30 JUN).
Also 16 to 22 JUN (various dates/times):
- ANGRY ANNIE aka Annie Colère d. Blandine Lenoir, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière.
- GOLIATH d. Frédéric Tellier, 2021 at: Ciné Lumière.
- HAIRSPRAY: 35th Anniversary d. John Waters, 1988 at: Ciné Lumière / ICA.
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 at: Riverside Studios (16 to 22 JUN).
- LE MEPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 at: Riverside Studios (17 to 21 JUN).
- NOVEMBER d. Cédric Jimenez, 2022 at (from 22 JUN): Ciné Lumière.
- SEVN WINTERS IN TEHRAN d. Steffi Niederzoll, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.