THURSDAY: What’s on in London today [23/02/23]
THURSDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
SPARROWS CAN’T SING – 60th Anniversary d. Joan Littlewood, 1963 at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 18:45 + Glass of Prosecco).
“In 1963, the venue that would then become Genesis Cinema held the Royal Premiere of Joan Littlewood’s Sparrows Can’t Sing, attended by lead actor Barbara Windsor. In 1999, Genesis Cinema opened, welcoming again Barbara Windsor as a special guest. Now, 60 years after its premiere, we present Sparrows Can’t Sing once again at Genesis Cinema, and we offer you a glass of Prosecco so you can celebrate with us.” (Genesis)
Charlie returns to the East End after two years at sea to find his house demolished and wife Maggie gone. Everyone else knows she is now shacked up with married bus driver Bert and a toddler, and they all watch with more than a little interest at the trail of mayhem Charlie leaves as he goes about sorting things out.
- CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 + Discussion, for LGBT History Month at Hornsey Library Silent Cinema (23 FEB 17:00 – FREE!).
- FINITE: THE CLIMATE OF CHANGE d. Rich Felgate, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (23 FEB 18:30).
- Guns and Bone Short Film Extravaganza short film programme & networking at Close-Up Film Centre (23 FEB 19:00).
- IL GIOVANE CORSARO – PASOLINI DA BOLOGNA d. Emilio Marrese, 2022 + Intro by Prof. Guido Bonsaver, University of Oxford at The Italian Cultural Institute in London (23 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- Indie Arthouse Film Shorts short film programme presented at The Film Atelier (23 FEB 18:00).
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 + WOFFF Short: JUST SAY d. Lucretia Knapp & Lynne Yamamoto for LGBT History Month, presented by Newham Community Cinema at Stratford East Picturehouse (23 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
- IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES d. Nagisa Oshima, 1976 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 18:15).
- Experimenta: RIGHT OF WAY d. Various, 2023 + Q&A with artists Dan Guthrie, Ufuoma Essi & Arjuna Neuman, hosted by Jonathan Ali at BFI Southbank (23 FEB 18:10).
- SPARROWS CAN’T SING – 60th Anniversary d. Joan Littlewood, 1963 at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 18:45 + Glass of Prosecco).
- THE SWAMP d. Lucrecia Martel, 2001 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (23 FEB 18:45).
- TILL d. Chinonye Chukwu, 2022 at The David Lean (23 FEB 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THIEF 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1981 (23 FEB 12:25).
- WATTSTAX 35mm d. Mel Stuart, 1973 (23 FEB 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Professional Lives: YOJIMBO aka Yôjinbô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1961 + Intro by Asif Kapadia, season co-curator (23 FEB 20:15).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (17 to 23 FEB).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 (until 23 FEB).
BEHIND THE LENS: FILMS FOR LGBT+ HISTORY MONTH at The Cinema Museum
- A WOMAN IS A WOMAN d. Maisy Goosy Suen, 2018 + Intro/discussion (23 FEB 19:00).
THE FILMS OF MICHAEL MANN at The Prince Charles
- THIEF 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1981 (23 FEB 12:25).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 41= BICYCLE THIEVES aka Ladri di bicicletted. Vittorio De Sica, 1948 (23 FEB 14:30).
- 31= PSYCHO 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 (23 FEB 20:40).
- 48= WANDA d. Barbara Loden, 1970 (23 FEB 20:45).
- Re-release: 41= RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (23 FEB 18:10 ).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON dir. Dean Fleischer-Camp, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
NOSTALGIA dir. Mario Martone, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex
THE SON dir. Florian Zeller, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Ciné Lumière / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 17 to 23 FEB (various dates/times):
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 at: Barbican./ Picturehouse Cinemas.
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- SHARPER d. Benjamin Caron, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
- The Essay Film Festival at ICA & Birkbeck Cinema (25 to 31 MAR 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ‘Turkish Star Wars’ to raise funds for the Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal at The Old Queens Head (03 APR 2023 – extra screening 05 APR!)
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.