THURSDAY 24 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Terror Vision: THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS d. Wes Craven, 1991 at BFI Southbank (24 FEB 20:40):
“Facing imminent eviction from their run-down apartment building, a young teen and his two accomplices formulate a plan to rob the sprawling suburban home of their avaricious landlords. But little do they know the horrors that await them inside. A slyly subversive blend of outré shocks and blacker-than-black comedy, Wes Craven’s scathing critique on capitalist greed and urban gentrification stands as one of the director’s most accomplished and enduring films.” (BFI)
- BLACK PETER: 4K Restoration d. Miloš Forman, 1963 presented by the Czech Centre at the Czech Embassy Cinema (24 FEB 19:00).
- BOILING POINT d. Philip Barantini, 2021 at The David Lean (24 FEB 14:30 & 19:30 / 01 MAR 19:30).
- BURDEN OF DREAMS 16mm d. Les Blank, 1982 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (20 FEB 14:00 / 24 FEB 19:30 / 27 FEB 13:30).
- THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991 presented by Highgate Film Society at Highgate Literary & Scientific Institution (24 FEB 20:00 – Followed by an online discussion 25 FEB 17:00).
- EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jadorowsky, 1970 + Intro & Salon with Nick Walker presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (24 FEB 18:30).
- A Tribute to Roger Michell: THE DUKE d. Roger Michell, 2021 Preview + Q&A (guest TBA) at BFI Southbank (24 FEB 18:00).
- Terror Vision: THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS d. Wes Craven, 1991 at BFI Southbank (24 FEB 20:40).
- PRIDE d. Matthew Warchus, 2014 + Auction for Stonewall for LGBT History month at Everyman King’s Cross (24 FEB 19:00).
- Shore Leave Film Night: QUERELLE + FIREWORKS d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1982 + Kenneth Anger, 1947 at Bathway Theatre, University of Greenwich (24 FEB 18:30 – FREE!).
- Women’s Health On Screen short film programme presented by Self Examination at The Horse Hospital (24 FEB 18:30).
4K PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THUNDERBALL 4K d. Terence Young, 1965 (24 FEB 15:00); HAPPY TOGETHER 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (24 FEB 18:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 (24 FEB 15:20).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (24 FEB 12:00 70mm).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THUNDERBALL 4K d. Terence Young, 1965 (24 FEB 15:00).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN [DIRECTOR’S CUT] d. Nicholas Meyer, 1982 (24 FEB 18:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (24 FEB 14:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2000 (24 FEB 20:15).
EXPERIMENTA FOCUS: STEPHEN DWOSKIN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE SUN AND THE MOON d. Stephen Dwoskin, 2008 + Intro by writer Paul Clinton (24 FEB 18:20).
FASHION & CINEMA: THE ALLURE OF THE REBEL at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE WILD ONE d. Laslo Benedek, 1953 + Intro by writer, editor, director and model Davina Catt (24 FEB 18:35).
THE FILMS OF PATRICK WANG at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IN THE FAMILY d. Patrick Wang, 2011 (24 FEB 20:35).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Hitchcock Truffaut: THE WOMAN NEXT DOOR aka La Femme d’à côté d. François Truffaut, 1981 (24 FEB 20:30). Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (24 FEB 18:15).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): PORCO ROSSO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1992 (from 18 FEB); MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (from 19 FEB).
TWO BY RYÛSUKE HAMAGUCHI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): WHEEL OF FORTUNE AND FANTASY d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (24 FEB 21:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HAPPY TOGETHER 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (24 FEB 18:00).
- BFI Future Film Festival (17 to 20 FEB – Ages 16 to 25 only).
- Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (22 FEB).
THE BEATLES: GET BACK – THE ROOFTOP CONCERT d. Peter Jackson, 2022:
- Various dates, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
HERE BEFORE d. Stacey Gregg, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: Curzon Cinemas.
- Also 18 to 24 FEB (various dates/times): KISS ME KOSHER d. Shirel Peleg, 2020 at: JW3 (21 to 28 FEB) // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: Rio Cinema // THE SILENCE OF THE MOLE d. Anais Taracena, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE TALE OF KING CRAB aka Re Granchio d. Alessio Rigo de Righi & Matteo Zoppis, 2021 at: ICA.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.