THURSDAY 29 JUNE 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
KOKOMO CITY d. D. Smith, 2023 + Intro by Ramses Underhill-Smith for Pride Month at The Garden Cinema (29 JUN 20:45).
“KOKOMO CITY was one of the sensations at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Directed by two-time Grammy nominee D. Smith and shot in striking black and white, KOKOMO CITY is a raw, taboo-breaking depiction of the lives of four black trans sex workers in America, as they confront the dichotomy between the black community and themselves.”
“KOKOMO CITY will be introduced by LGBT+ equalities campaigner Ramses Underhill-Smith. Ramses worked at the BFI’s London LGBTIQ+ Film Festival, as a cultural diversity film programmer and is Co-founder and Managing Director of Alternative Care Services, the UK’s first LGBT+ focused adult care service provider.” (The Garden Cinema)
- ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT’S ME MARGARET d. Kelly Fremon Craig, 2023 at The David Lean (29 JUN 14:30 & 19:30).
- KOKOMO CITY d. D. Smith, 2023 + Intro by Ramses Underhill-Smith for Pride Month at The Garden Cinema (29 JUN 20:45).
- MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON d. Dean Fleischer Camp, 2021 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (29 JUN 19:30).
- MY EXTINCTION d. Josh Appignanesi, 2023 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Mayfair (29 JUN 18:20).
- Onanism – Short Films Screening presented by Other People’s Films at Glass House (29 JUN 18:30).
- ON OUR DOORSTEP d. Thomas Laurance, 2023 + Q&A with the director & actor Yasin Moradi at Rich Mix (29 JUN 18:10).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BUFFALO 66 35mm d. Vincent Gallo, 1998 (29 JUN 12:30).
- THE LONG GOODBYE 35mm d. Robert Altman, 1973 (29 JUN 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY d. James Mangold, 2023 (28 JUN to 10 JUL).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (29 JUN 17:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- CLÉO FROM 5 TO 7 aka Cléo de 5 à 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1962 (29 JUN 18:30).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- JOURNEY TO THE WEST d. Kong Dashan, 2021 (29 JUN 18:15).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 (29 JUN 20:45).
THE FILMS OF BONG JOON-HO at The Prince Charles
- MEMORIES OF MURDER aka Salinui chueok d. Bong Joon Ho, 2003 (29 JUN 15:00).
KOREAN FILM NIGHTS: LABOURS OF LOVE at Korean Cultural Centre
- EARTH’S WOMEN 땅의 여자 d. Kwon Woo – jung, 2009 (29 JUN 19:00 – FREE!).
MIDSUMMER’S DAY at The Prince Charles
- THE WICKER MAN – THE FINAL CUT d. Robin Hardy, 1973 (29 JUN 12:45 – 4K).
MICHEL PICCOLI: A FEARLESS TALENT at BFI Southbank
- HABEMUS PAPAM aka We Have a Pope d. Nanni Moretti, 2011 (29 JUN 20:45).
PRIDE SEASON at Curzon Cinemas
- THE ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT d. Stephan Elliott, 1994 (29 JUN various).
- EAST PALACE, WEST PALACE 35mm d. Zhang Yuan, 1996 + Intro by Hayley Scanlon (29 JUN 18:30).
RAZOR SHARP: THE FABULOUS WOMEN OF HOWARD HAWKS at BFI Southbank
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY d. Howard Hawks, 1940 + Intro by Catherine Wheatley, King’s College London (29 JUN 18:20).
- GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES d. Howard Hawks, 1953 (29 JUN 21:00).
- Special events: The Philosophy of Marriage: His Girl Friday panel discussion (29 JUN 20:15).
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- BLOW-UP d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966 (29 JUN 16:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (29 JUN 15:15).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Kingston International Film Festival (23 to 25 JUN).
- London Festival of Architecture x Brixton Community Cinema (09 JUN to 02 JUL).
- London Indian Film Festival (22 to 29 JUN).
- Magnum Photos Film Festival (24 to 30 JUN).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Refugee Week (19 to 25 JUN).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- Windrush Caribbean Film Festival (06 to 30 JUN).
ASTEROID CITY dir Wes Anderson, 2023
Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
Also 23 to 29 JUN (various dates/times):
- JESUS REVOLUTION d. Jon Erwin & Brent McCorkle, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- KEEP ROLLING (好好拍電影) d. Man Lim-chung, 2020 at: ICA.
- NIMONA d. Nick Bruno & Troy Quane, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.