THURSDAY: What’s on in London today [30/03/23]
THURSDAY 30 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
The Celluloid Body: Women’s Artist Films at the Limit curated with & presented by Agnès Houghton-Boyle at Whitechapel Gallery (30 MAR 19:00).
“Exploring some of the darkest and most intimate aspects of the human experience, this programme presents the work, very rarely screened in the UK, of the New York Underground chicks: Jasmine Hirst, Anne Hanavan and M.M. Serra, alongside the hand-made films of counter-current voice, Nazli Dinçel. Disparate in approach, these short experimental films share as their subject the body in all its pleasure and pain.” (Whitechapel Gallery)
- THE AGE OF INNOCENCE: 30th Anniversary 4K Restoration d. Martin Scorsese, 1993 at Ciné Lumière (30 MAR 15:20).
- THE AGE OF INNOCENCE: 30th Anniversary 4K Restoration d. Martin Scorsese, 1993 at The Garden Cinema (30 MAR 20:15).
- Alice Neel: Portraiture on Film + Intro by Catherine McCormack at Barbican (30 MAR 18:30).
- AMERICAN PSYCHO 35mm d. Mary Harron, 1999 presented by Signature Brewery at Genesis Cinema (30 MAR 21:00 + Free drink).
- The Celluloid Body: Women’s Artist Films at the Limit curated with & presented by Agnès Houghton-Boyle at Whitechapel Gallery (30 MAR 19:00).
- THE FABELMANS d. Steven Spielberg, 2022 at The David Lean (30 MAR 14:30 HOH & 19:00).
- MicroActs 14: An Evening of International Artist Film at Atlas Grinds (30 MAR 18:30).
- PLAINS d. Romanne Walker & Eli Speigel, 2023 at Sands Films Studios (30 MAR 19:00).
- RODEO d. Lola Quivoron, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (30 MAR 18:20).
- Trans Day Of Visibility – TCC Trans+ Film Showcase presented by Trans+ Creative Collective at Strongroom Bar (30 MAR 19:00 – FREE!).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- STRAW DOGS 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1971 (30 MAR 12:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 d. Chad Stahelski, 2023 (23 to 30 MAR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (30 MAR 12:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- RIO BRAVO d. Howard Hawks, 1959 (30 MAR 20:20).
BRING ME THE FILMS OF SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- STRAW DOGS 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1971 (30 MAR 12:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (30 MAR 15:05 – 4K).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- YEELEN d. Souleymane Cissé, 1987 (30 MAR 18:00 + Intro/discussion with Marie Rodet).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- Talks etc: Backwards and in High Heels panel discussion (30 MAR 18:20).
- Re-releases: TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 + Intro (30 MAR 20:30).
MOIS DE LA FRANCOPHONIE 2023 at Ciné Lumière
- THE BEASTS aka As bestas d. Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022 (23 MAR to 02 APR).
- THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables dir. Léa Mysius, 2022 (24 MAR to 06 APR).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- NORTHERN SOUL d. Elaine Constantine, 2014 (30 MAR 18:15).
OBSESSIONS at Bertha DocHouse
- GEOGRAPHIES OF SOLITUDE d. Jacquelyn Mills, 2022 (30 MAR 16:20).
KARRAMAGHIOLIS at Close-Up & Ciné Lumière
- Short Films (30 MAR 20:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (30 MAR 18:15 – 4K).
- BFI Flare (15 to 26 MAR).
- Do More Movement Film Festival (30 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (16 to 26 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- RAI Film Festival (03 to 31 MAR).
- TNB Xpo 2023 (29 to 31 MAR).
- WatchAUT 2023 (23 to 26 MAR).
THE BEASTS aka As bestas dir. Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables dir. Léa Mysius, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
INFINITY POOL dir. Brandon Cronenberg, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema
Also 24 to 30 MAR (various dates/times):
- 1976 dir. Manuela Martelli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI Southbank / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- A COMPASSIONATE SPY dir. Steve James, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- A GOOD PERSON dir. Zach Braff, 2023 at: The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- THE COW WHO SANG A SONG INTO THE FUTURE d. Francisca Alegría, 2022 at: The Garden Cinema.
- DANCE CRAZE dir. Joe Massot, 1981 at (limited engagements!): ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.