THURSDAY 30 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
ALTERED STATES 35mm d. Ken Russell, 1980 at BFI Southbank (30 SEP 21:00) / Part of Terror Vision.
- “In his attempts to explore the peripheries of human consciousness, a maverick research scientist utilises a heady mix of sensory deprivation and hallucinogenic drugs. But as his experiments become increasingly outlandish, his grasp on reality begins to dissipate. Perhaps director Ken Russell’s most visionary work, this psychedelic sci-fi horror remains a true one-of-a-kind, boasting astonishing images as beautiful as they are nightmarish.”
- ALTERED STATES 35mm d. Ken Russell, 1980 at BFI Southbank (30 SEP 21:00) / Part of Terror Vision.
- THE CAT O’NINE TAILS d. Dario Argento, 1971 at The Prince Charles (30 SEP 18:15).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at The Prince Charles (30 SEP 15:00).
- ELDORADO XXI d. Salomé Lamas, 2016 at BFI (30 SEP 20:45).
- GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE d. Navot Papushado, 2021 at The Prince Charles (30 SEP 13:10 – Digital).
- THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 35mm d. Sidney Lanfield, 1939 at BFI (30 SEP 18:15).
- ISLE OF DOGS d. Wes Anderson, 2018 presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Grove Centre (30 SEP 19:30).
- LA PISCINE aka The Swimming Pool d. Jacques Deray, 1969 at The Prince Charles (30 SEP 18:00).
- POLYTECHNIQUE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2009 at BFI (30 SEP 20:50).
- TLAMESS d. Ala Eddine Slim, 2019 at BFI (30 SEP 18:00).
- MARTHA: A PICTURE STORY d. Selina Miles, 2019 + Q&A presented online by Doc’n Roll at House Of Vans (29 SEP to 01 OCT – FREE).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at The Luna Cinema at Brompton Cemetery (30 SEP 19:30).
- Alyssa: Tunisian Film Festival (25 to 26 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- EFN Short Film Festival (27 SEP to 01 OCT).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online).
- Little Wing Film Festival (21 to 26 SEP).
- Loco Shorts Weekender (24 to 26 SEP).
- London Indian Film Festival Autumn Edition (18 to 30 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (23 to 29 SEP).
- New Renaissance Film Festival (24 to 26 SEP).
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (20 to 25 SEP).
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (25 SEP to 02 OCT).
- World Cinema Film Festival (24 to 25 SEP / Online 19 to 26 SEP).
- Also (24 to 30 SEP various dates/times): DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at: Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema // THE GREEN KNIGHT d. David Lowery, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Cinema in the Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema // PICTURE STORIES d. Rob West, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 at: BFI / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.