TUESDAY: What’s on in London today [04/04/23]
TUESDAY 04 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
DRUGSTORE COWBOY d. Gus Van Sant, 1989 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (04 APR 20:00).
“Bob Hughes (Matt Dillon) is the leader of a ‘family’ of drug addicts consisting of him, his wife, Dianne (Kelly Lynch), his best friend, Rick (James LeGros), and Rick’s girlfriend Nadine (Heather Graham). Together they travel across the U.S. Pacific Northwest of the early 70s, supporting their drug habits by robbing pharmacies and hospitals and pushing their luck until it well and truly runs out. Based on the autobiographical novel by James Fogle, and featuring a unforgettable cameo by William Burroughs (as a junky priest; natch), DRUGSTORE COWBOY was Gus Van Sant’s second feature and is brilliant example of 80s American indie filmmaking – without forgetting to include some of that 70s New Hollywood grit.” (Tufnell Park Film Club)
- ALL THE COLOURS OF THE DARK d. Sergio Martino, 1972 presented by Mondo Nights at Biddle Bros. (04 APR 20:00).
- AZOR d. Andreas Fontana, 2021 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (04 APR 20:00).
- BEFORE MIDNIGHT d. Richard Linklater, 2013 at The Prince Charles (04 APR 15:35 – £1 Members Film).
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 at The David Lean (04 APR 19:30).
- BRIDGES OF TIME d. Kristine Briede & Audrius Stony, 2018 presented by Klassiki at Bertha DocHouse (04 APR 18:30).
- DRUGSTORE COWBOY d. Gus Van Sant, 1989 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (04 APR 20:00).
- THE GALLERY (1981 & 2021): INTERACTIVE FILM d. Paul Raschid, 2022 Gala Screening + Q&A at Genesis Cinema (04 APR 17:45).
- MURDER IN MAYFAIR d. Nawal al-Maghafi + Q&A at Frontline Club (04 APR 19:00).
- VENGEANCE d. B. J. Novak, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (04 APR 20:00 / 05 APR 20:00 / 09 APR 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE HUNGER 35mm d. Tony Scott, 1983 (04 APR 13:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (04 APR 12:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOUR AMONGST THIEVES d. John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, 2023 (31 MAR to 13 APR).
A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (04 APR various).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- THE END OF EVANGELION d. Hideaki Anno & Kazuya Tsurumaki, 1997 + Intro by Ghibliotheque (04 APR 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- TOUCH OF EVIL d. Orson Welles, 1958 (04 APR 14:30).
CHISWICK PICKS at Chiswick Cinema
- THE AGE OF INNOCENCE: 30TH ANNIVERSARY 4K Restoration d. Martin Scorsese, 1993 (04 APR 20:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 25TH ANNIVERSARY d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (31 MAR to 06 APR – Some 4K).
- NOSFERATU d. F.W. Murnau, 1922 + Live score by Hugo Max (04 APR 18:00).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- STAGE DOOR d. Gregory La Cava, 1936 (04 APR 20:40).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #34 – L’ATALANTE d. Jean Vigo, 1934 (04 APR 18:30).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- Saturday Night Theatre: ROLL ON FOUR O’CLOCK + Play For Today: KISSES AT 50 d. Roy Battersby, 1970 + Michael Apted, 1973 (04 APR 18:10).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- BARRIER aka Bariera d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1966 + Intro by season curator Michael Brooke (04 APR 20:50).
- Talks etc: Outsider and Exile panel discussion (04 APR 18:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (04 APR 18:15).
- Clermont-Ferrand in London (04 to 08 APR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- We Are Parable: Experience Over Everything (31 MAR to 02 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- The Malarkey Film Festival: Creepuscula (05 APR).
THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 25TH ANNIVERSARY dir. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 (limited engagements):
- Various venues, inc: Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / The Prince Charles / Riverside Studios
BLIND WILLOW, SLEEPING WOMAN dir. Pierre Földes, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
GOD’S CREATURES dir. Saela Davis & Anna Rose Holmer, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / ICA / Olympic Studios / / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street / Riverside Studios
THE NIGHT OF THE 12TH dir. Dominik Moll, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
Also 31 MAR to 06 APR (various dates/times):
- Preview: AIR d. Ben Affleck, 2023 at (from 05 APR): Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix /
- EFTIHIA d. Angelos Frantzis, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End.
- THE PAWNSHOP d. Lukasz Kowalski, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- RIOTSVILLE, USA d. Sierra Pettengill, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas + Q&A.
- TETRIS d. Jon S. Baird, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE – 4K Restoration d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at (limited engagements): ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Close-Up Film Centre / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.