TUESDAY 05 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Ukraine Fundraiser – Stand With DocuDays: THIS RAIN WILL NEVER STOP d. Alina Gorlova, 2020 + Intro at Bertha DocHouse (05 APR 18:30):
“THIS RAIN WILL NEVER STOP takes the audience on a powerful, visually arresting journey through humanity’s endless cycle of war and peace. In textured black-and-white, we follow 20-year-old Andriy Suleyman as he tries to secure a sustainable future while navigating the human toll of armed conflict. From the Syrian civil war to strife in Ukraine, Andriy’s existence is framed by the seemingly eternal flow of life and death.”
THIS RAIN WILL NEVER STOP plays in support of Ukrainian filmmakers as part of ‘Stand with DocuDays’, a collaboration between One World Media, Guardian Documentaries and Bertha DocHouse, on behalf of Ukraine’s DocuDays UA film festival.
- BROADCAST NEWS d. James L. Brooks, 1987 presented in tribute to William Hurt by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (05 APR 20:00).
- DER HIMMEL ÜBER BERLIN aka Wings Of Desire d. Wim Wenders, 1987 presented by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Cinema SE16 (05 APR 20:00 – also available online)
- THE DUKE d. Roger Michell, 2020 at The David Lean (05 APR 14:30 & 19:30 / 06 APR 19:30 / 09 APR 14:00).
- ESCHER: JOURNEY INTO INFINITY d. Robin Lutz, 2018 at JW3 (05 APR 13:00 / 06 APR 14:00 / 12 APR 15:00).
- HARVEY d. Henry Koster, 1950 at The Prince Charles (05 APR 12:20).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 at Close-Up (05 APR 20:00).
- MOTHERING SUNDAY d. Eva Husson, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (05 APR 20:00 / 06 APR 20:00 / 10 APR 17:00).
- PARIAH d. Dee Rees, 2011 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (05 APR 18:05).
- PIANO TO ZANSKAR d. Michal Sulima, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (05 APR 15:30).
- Ukraine Fundraiser – Stand With DocuDays: THIS RAIN WILL NEVER STOP d. Alina Gorlova, 2020 + Intro at Bertha DocHouse (05 APR 18:30).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO aka Tonari no Totoro d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (05 APR 18:20).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (05 APR 13:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 (05 APR 20:00).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (05 APR 14:45 4K); PRISONERS d. Denis Villeneuve, 2013 (05 APR 20:15).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): OSLO, AUGUST 31ST d. Joachim Trier, 2011 (05 APR 18:35); THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 07 APR).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): REPRISE d. Joachim Trier, 2006 (05 APR 15:40).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SHAME aka Skammen d. Ingmar Bergman, 1968 + Intro by Catharine Des Forges, Director, Independent Cinema Office (05 APR 20:45). Re-release: CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 (01 to 14 APR).
PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): LITTLE CAESAR d. Mervyn LeRoy, 1931 (05 APR 18:00).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREENat Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): MOANA d. Ron Clements, John Musker, Don Hall & Chris Williams, 2016 (05 APR 15:55); REMORQUES d. Jean Grémillon, 1941 (05 APR 18:30).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (01 to 10 APR).
- The People’s Film Festival (02 to 09 APR).
- South Social Film Festival – Nordic Focus (02 APR).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 03 APR).
- Also 01 to 07 APR (various dates/times): LA FAMILLE BELIER dir. Eric Lartigau, 2014 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE NOVICE dir. Laura Hadaway, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // ONE OF THESE DAYS dir. Bastian Günther, 2020 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas // REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES dir. Kiwi Chow, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRUE THINGS dir. Harry Wootliff, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // XUETA ISLAND dir. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3.
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.