TUESDAY 06 JUNE 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Discover: WAR PONY d. Riley Keough & Gina Gammell, 2022 at Picturehouse Cinemas (06 JUN various).
“The stunning and utterly compelling directorial debut of Riley Keogh (star of DAISY JONES & THE SIX) and Gina Gammell, winner of Cannes’ Caméra d’Or. A powerful tale of life, hope and belonging created over a period of four years in collaboration with members of the Pine Ridge Reservation.”
“At 23, Bill (Jojo Bapteise Whiting) just wants to make something of himself. Whether it’s syphoning gas, delivering goods or breeding Poodles, he is determined to carve his way to the “American Dream”. Meanwhile, 12-year-old Matho (LaDainian Crazy Thunder) can’t wait to become a man. Desperate for approval from his young, unavailable father, a series of destructive decisions turns Matho’s life upside down and he finds himself unequipped to deal with the harsh realities of the adult world.” (Picturehouse)
- BLOODSISTERS + AUTOMATION curated by Astrid Johnson, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (06 JUN 19:00).
- FARINELLI d. Gérard Corbiau, 1994 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (06 JUN 20:00 – Donation requested!).
- TV Preview: THE FULL MONTY d. Andrew Chaplin, 2023 + Q&A with the director & Robert Carlyle, Mark Addy, Lesley Sharp, Talitha Wing at BFI Southbank (06 JUN 18:00).
- JULIE ON LINE d. Mia Ma + Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (06 JUN 18:20).
- LUNANA: A YAK IN THE CLASSROOM d. Pawo Choyning Dorji, 2019 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (06 JUN 20:30).
- MEDUSA DELUXE d. Thomas Hardiman, 2022 + Q&A with the director presented by Dazed x MUBI Cinema Club at Rio Cinema (06 JUN 18:15).
- NINE QUEENS ak Nueve reinas d. Fabián Bielinsky, 2000 presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (06 JUN 19:00).
- SANJURO d. Akira Kurosawa, 1962 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (06 JUN 20:00).
- SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE: 25th Anniversary d. John Madden, 1998 + Q&A with the director at Chiswick Cinema (06 JUN 19:00).
- TÁR d. Todd Field, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (06 JUN 20:00 / 07 JUN 20:00 / 11 JUN 17:00).
- TINA d. Daniel Lindsay & T.J. Martin, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (06 JUN 20:30).
- Discover: WAR PONY d. Riley Keough & Gina Gammell, 2022 at Picturehouse Cinemas (06 JUN various).
Check venues for full listings…
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
- THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE 16mm d. Víctor Erice, 1973 + Intro (06 JUN 19:30 / 25 JUN 16:15).
- Presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club.
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- PARIS, TEXAS 35mm d. Wim Wenders, 1984 (06 JUN 12:30).
- THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU 35mm d. Wes Anderson, 2004 (06 JUN 15:10).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers & Justin K. Thompson, 2023 (02 to 08 JUN).
3x LYNCH at ICA
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 (06 JUN 20:10).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (06 JUN 18:15).
ARROW VIDEO CULT FILM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- BATTLE ROYALE aka Batoru rowaiaru d. Kinji Fukasaku, 2000 (06 JUN 20:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- THE THIRD MAN d. Carol Reed, 1949 (06 JUN 20:40).
BRUCE LEE AT GOLDEN HARVEST at The Prince Charles
- THE BIG BOSS: THE MANDARIN CUT d. Lo Wei & Wu Chia Hsiang, 1971 (06 JUN 20:45).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- JOURNEY TO THE WEST d. Kong Dashan, 2021 (06 JUN 20:40).
THE FILMS OF WES ANDERSON at The Prince Charles
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (06 JUN 18:00 – £1 Members Film).
MICHEL PICCOLI: A FEARLESS TALENT at BFI Southbank
- LA MORT EN CE JARDIN aka Evil Eden d. Luis Buñuel, 1956 (06 JUN 18:15).
- PASSION d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1982 (06 JUN 21:00).
- Re-release: LE MEPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (02 to 21 JUN).
- UK Restoration Premiere: FLAMING EARS d. Ursula Puerrer, A. Hans Scheirl & Dietmar Schipek, 1992 + Q&A with Ursula Puerrer (06 JUN 18:15).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (02 to 08 JUN).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- BFI Film on Film Festival (08 to 11 JUN).
- London International Short Film Festival (04 to 05 JUN).
- London Vaporetto Shorts Film Festival (04 JUN).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- The Riservati Pictures Film Festival (08 JUN).
- Sci-Fi London (31 MAY to 06 JUN).
- Walthamstow International Film Festival (04 JUN).
Also 02 to 08 JUN (various dates/times):
- THE EXILES d. Ben Klein & Violet Columbus, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- THELMA & LOUISE d. Ridley Scott, 1991 (limited engagements) at: The Garden Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.