TUESDAY 06 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
TROTTIE TRUE 35MM aka The Gay Lady + Intro by BFI Curator Josephine Botting at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 18:00).
- “To celebrate the centenary of her birth, we’re screening Jean Kent’s most eye-catching role, and her personal favourite, from a gorgeous 35mm print made by the BFI National Archive. Kent brings vivacity and good-natured humour to this lavish Technicolor salute to the golden age of music hall, with no expense spared on the sumptuous recreation of Edwardian England. Trottie’s progression from working-class girl to stage celebrity echoes Kent’s own journey to stardom, which took her from Windmill Girl at the age of 14 to one of Gainsborough’s leading ladies. This film earned her the tag ‘Britain’s Betty Grable’, and she undoubtedly injected some welcome glamour and zest into the bleak post-war years.” (BFI)
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER aka Todo sobre mi madre d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 20:45).
- BARTON FINK 35MM d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1991 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 18:15).
- BINDING SENTIMENTS aka Holdudvar d. Márta Mészáros, 1969 at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 20:50).
- COOKIE’S FORTUNE d. Robert Altman, 1999 at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 14:50).
- DRIVE 35MM d. Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 21:05).
- THE EVIL DEAD d. Sam Raimi, 1981 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 12:00).
- FOEDORA d. Judith Abensour, 2021 + a Recorded Q&A with the director & Nat Muller at ICA (06 JUL 18:30).
- THE KID d. Charles Chaplin, 1921 presented by Sands Film Club at Sands Films Studio (06 JUL 20:00 – FREE! / Donation suggested).
- LA FIANCÉE DU PIRATE aka A Very Curious Girl d. Nelly Kaplan, 1969 at Ciné Lumière (06 JUL 18:20).
- LOOTED d. Rene van Pannevis, 2020 + Q&A with the director & cast at Genesis Cinema (06 JUL 18:20).
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING [Theatrical Edition] d. Peter Jackson, 2001 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 11:30).
- L’UNE CHANTE, L’AUTRE PAS d. Agnès Varda, 1977 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 20:30).
- MEMORIES OF MY BODY d. Garin Nugroho, 2018 + Recorded Intro by film critic Eric Sasono (06 JUL 18:00) / Part of Queer East – Pride Season x Forbidden Colours.
- MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrmann, 2001 at Genesis Cinema (06 JUL 21:00).
- NOWHERE SPECIAL d. Uberto Pasolini, 2021 + Q&A with the director & actor James Norton live streamed from at Curzon Mayfair (06 JUL 18:15 – Other Curzon available!).
- PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 17:45).
- SOLARIS d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 14:15).
- TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY d. James Cameron, 1991 at The Prince Charles (06 JUL 15:15).
- TROTTIE TRUE 35MM aka The Gay Lady + Intro by BFI Curator Josephine Botting at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 18:00) / Featured attraction of the week!
- ULTRAVIOLENCE d. Ken Fero, 2020 at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 14:30).
- WE ARE FROM THERE d. Wissam Tanios, 2020 + ScreenTalk by SAFAR curator Rabih El-Khoury (06 JUL 18:00) / Part of SAFAR Film Festival.
- THEY HAVEN’T DONE NOTHING d. David Horsefield, 1985 presented online by LUX (06 JUL 10:00 to 07 JUL 10:00).
- MEAN GIRLS d. Mark Waters, 2004 at Bar Elba SE1 (06 JUL 21:30).
- TRAINSPOTTING d. Danny Boyle, 1996 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (06 JUL 21:15).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN d. Michael Gracey, 2017 open captions at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (06 JUL 21:15).
- Bagri Foundation London Indian Film Festival (17 JUN to 04 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- London Korean Film Festival – Teaser Screenings (JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 06 JUL).
- Sohome Horror Fest Pride 2021 (02 to 04 JUL online).
ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2021
- Daily, inc: Archlight Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle / Catford Mews / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laurie Fairrie, 2021
- Daily, inc: Curzon Cinemas
- Also (other films/venues may be available!): DON’T GO GENTLE: A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2020 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 02 to 08 JUL various times).
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.