TUESDAY: What’s on in London today [07/03/23]
TUESDAY 07 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
CROSSING VOICES dir. Raphaël Grisey & Bouba Touré, 2022 + Intro by Abiba Coulibaly, presented by Emerging Curators at Barbican (07 MAR 19:00).
“Responding to the intersecting crises of urbanisation, migration, and climate, Crossing Voices directed by Raphaël Grisey and Bouba Touré highlights African agency and gazes.”
“Crossing Voices follows a group of migrant worker activists in France who decide to return to the banks of the Senegal River, recently decimated by a series of droughts, as Soumankidi Coura, a radical Pan-African agricultural co-operative. Founder and filmmaker Bouba Touré’s archives form the basis of this documentary exploring the intersections of environmental and humanitarian struggles, highlighting the agency of a group that is often underestimated, while documenting abundance and progressiveness in a region frequently portrayed as unproductive.” (Barbican)
- ALCARRAS d. Carla Simon, 2022 at The David Lean (07 MAR 19:30).
- CABARET d. Bob Fosse, 1972 presented by Sticky Fingers Cinema at The Ivy House (07 MAR 19:00).
- CHARM CIRCLE d. Nira Burstein, 2021 at Everyman Belsize Park (07 MAR 18:15 / 09 MAR 18:40).
- THE COLLINI CASE d. Marco Kreuzpaintner, 2019 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (07 MAR 20:00).
- CROSSING VOICES d. Raphaël Grisey & Bouba Touré, 2022 + Intro by Abiba Coulibaly, presented by Emerging Curators at Barbican (07 MAR 19:00).
- GERVAISE d. René Clément, 1956 presented online & in-venue by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (07 MAR 20:00 – Donation requested!).
- THE KING OF COMEDY d. Martin Scorsese, 1982 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (07 MAR 20:00).
- TRASH HUMPERS d. Harmony Korine, 2009 presented by Deeper Into Movies at SET Peckham (07 MAR 19:30).
- WATCHER d. Chloe Okuno, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (07 MAR 20:00 / 08 MAR 20:00 / 12 MAR 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT 35mm d. Edward Berger, 2022 (07 MAR 12:35 & 20:20).
- CINEMA PARADISO 35mm aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 (07 MAR 13:00).
- ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar-wai, 1994 (07 MAR 15:45).
- THIEF 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1981 (07 MAR 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- CREED III d. Michael B. Jordan, 2023 (03 to 09 MAR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- PERFECT BLUE d. Satoshi Kon, 1997 (07 MAR 18:00).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 (07 MAR 15:40 & 20:45).
CARL MAYER MINI SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum & The Cinema Museum
- Double feature: THE FORTH ESTATE + WORLD OF PLENTY 1940 + 1943 at The Cinema Museum (07 MAR 19:00).
IVOR CUTLER AND THE ECCENTRIC MISCELLANY at BFI Southbank
- Vivian Stanshall + Intro by Lucian Randall, Vivian Stanshall biographer (07 MAR 18:15).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 21= LATE SPRING aka Banshun d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1949 (07 MAR 14:30).
- 25= THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER d. Charles Laughton, 1955 (07 MAR 18:00).
- 8= MULHOLLAND DR. d. David Lynch, 2001 (07 MAR 20:10).
- 3= CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (07 MAR 20:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES d. Chantal Akerman, 1975 (07 MAR 18:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (07 MAR 12:45 – 4K).
- ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar-wai, 1994 (07 MAR 15:45).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (07 MAR 21:00 – 4K).
- Busting the Bias (03 to 05 MAR).
- Cinema Made In Italy (09 to 13 MAR).
- Donne di Mafia, Having a Voice (04 to 05 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- Stardance Animation Festival (03 to 12 MAR).
CLOSE dir Lukas Dhont, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
CREED III dir Michael B Jordan, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
FASHION REIMAGINED dir Becky Hutner, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 03 to 09 MAR (various dates/times):
- BUCK AND THE PREACHER d. Sidney Poitier, 1972 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- ELECTRIC MALADY d. Marie Lidén, 2022 at: ICA.
- EVA’S PROMISE d. Steve McCarthy, 2022 at: JW3 (from 06 MAR).
- I’M FINE (THANKS FOR ASKING) d. Angelique Molina & Kelley Kali, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- SUBJECT d. Camilla Hall & Jennifer Tiexier, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
- The Essay Film Festival at ICA & Birkbeck Cinema (25 to 31 MAR 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ‘Turkish Star Wars’ to raise funds for the Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal at The Old Queens Head (03 APR 2023 – extra screening 05 APR!)
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.