TUESDAY 07 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
IN THE CUT d. Jane Campion, 2003 + Intro presented by Zodiac Film Club at Mama Shelter E2 (07 SEP 18:30+) / Part of Revive The Dark.
- “When a body is discovered in her back garden, English teacher Frannie (Meg Ryan) meets Detective Malloy (Mark Ruffalo) and is drawn from her introverted world of language, observation and sisterly bonds to one of sex, danger and emotional ambivalence. The steamy, softly lit older sister to Campion’s blockbuster TV show TOP OF THE LAKE, IN THE CUT was dismissed by critics on its release, but has since been reevaluated as a provocative feminist masterpiece.”
- Revive The Dark is an audience-backed campaign to promote alternative screen culture in London, powered by funding from monthly subscribers at RADIANT CIRCUS. Together, we are creating an Exhibitor Fund by redirecting 40% of the income we get from monthly fees to sponsor the thing we love: DIY, diverse, distinctive cinema. We are then inviting film exhibitors to pitch for funding to help them return to in-venue screenings after the pandemic. JOIN US!
- 200 METERS d. Ameen Nayfeh, 2019 at BFI (07 SEP 20:50).
- A TALE OF THREE SISTERS d. Emin Alper, 2019 at ICA (07 SEP 16:25).
- BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (07 SEP 20:00).
- THE BIG SLEEP 35mm d. Howard Hawks, 1946 at BFI (07 SEP 20:45).
- CINEMA PARADISO 4k aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 at BFI (07 SEP 14:15).
- GOOD MORNING aka Ohayo d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1959 at The Prince Charles (07 SEP 15:45).
- 0S & 1S d. Eugene Kotlyarenko, 2011 + Intro by the director presented by Double Wonderful at Venue MOT Unit 18 (07 SEP 19:30).
- IN THE CUT d. Jane Campion, 2003 + Intro presented by Zodiac Film Club at Mama Shelter E2 (07 SEP 18:30+) / Part of Revive The Dark.
- JO JO DANCER, YOUR LIFE IS CALLING 35MM d. Richard Pryor, 1986 + Recorded intro by Hilton Als at BFI (07 SEP 18:10).
- THE LITTLE MERMAID d. Ron Clements & John Musker, 1989 at The Prince Charles (07 SEP 13:30).
- THE PARAPOD MOVIE d. Ian Boldsworth, 2020 + Q&A with Barry Dodds & Ian Boldsworth at Everyman Broadgate (07 SEP 19:30).
- THE STRANGER d. Orson Welles, 1946 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston NW5 (07 SEP 20:00).
- WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (07 SEP 21:10).
- THE WOLF MAN d. George Waggner, 1941 at The Prince Charles (07 SEP 18:15).
- KILL BILL VOL: 1 d. Quentin Tarantino, 2003 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (07 SEP 20:00).
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (07 SEP 20:00).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Sci-Fi-London 48hr Film Challenge (04 to 06 SEP).
ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021.
- Also (03 to 09 SEP various dates/times): THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at: JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at: The Prince Charles // EPICENTRO d. Hubert Sauper, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- THE LIGHT OF DAY + Discussion with Anne Bean & Alex Eisenberg at LUX (03 OCT 2021).
- Lost Vampires season at ICA & The Prince Charles Cinema (25 SEP to 20 OCT 2021)
- Double Wonderful presents GREENER GRASS at Venue MOT Unit 18 (05 OCT 2021)
- Not Like Us? Female misfits on screen at Genesis Cinema & online (20 to 26 SEP 2021)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.