TUESDAY 08 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Experimenta: TICKET OF NO RETURN aka Bildnis einer Trinkerin d. Ulrike Ottinger, 1979 + Pre-recorded intro remembering Tabea Blumenschein with Ulrike Ottinger at BFI Southbank (08 MAR 18:00):
“Maven and muse of the West Berlin artistic underground, Tabea Blumenschein mesmerises in this extraordinary voyage of alcoholic descent directed by artist and major figure in the New German Cinema movement, Ulrike Ottinger. Ostentatiously dressed in bright, angular fashions, Blumenschein, as a nameless traveller, forms a close bond with a homeless woman and the pair glide, drift and explode through a series of highly-stylised tableaus, transgressing the limits of ‘acceptable’ public female behaviour as they go. Visually stunning, Ticket of No Return screens from a new 4K digital restoration from Arsenal, in Berlin. We look forward to celebrating the life and spirit of post-punk artist, musician (with Die Tödliche Doris) and fashion designer Tabea Blumenschein, who died in March 2020.”
- AFTER LOVE d. Aleem Khan, 2020 presented by Twickenham Film Club at The Venue, Heatham House (08 MAR 19:00).
- International Women’s Day: THE DROVER’S WIFE: THE LEGEND OF MOLLY JOHNSON d. Leah Purcell, 2022 presented by the London Australian Film Society at Regent Street Cinema (08 MAR 19:15).
- GREAT FREEDOM aka Große Freiheit d. Sebastian Meise, 2021 + Q&A with the director & actor Franz Rogowski at ICA (08 MAR 18:20).
- International Women’s Day: HIVE d. Blerta Basholli, 2021 + Pre-recorded Q&A with filmmakers presented by #ReclaimThe Frame at: BFI Southbank (08 MAR 18:15); Curzon Bloomsbury (08 MAR 18:30); The Lexi Cinema (08 MAR 17:50); Picturehouse Cinema (08 MAR various).
- World Premiere: JITTERBUG d. Ayo Akingbade, 2022 + Q&A with the director with Andrea Arnold at Rio Cinema (08 MAR 19:00).
- KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (08 MAR 20:00 / 09 MAR 20:00 / 13 MAR 17:00).
- L’ECLISSE d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (08 MAR 20:00).
- International Women’s Day: MAKE UP d. Claire Oakley, 2020 + Short in support of Solace Women’s Aid at Genesis Cinema (08 MAR 21:15).
- OKRAINA d. Boris Barnet, 1933 presented in-venue & online by Sands Cinema Club and Sands Film Studios (08 MAR 20:00).
- THE POWER OF THE DOG d. Jane Campion at The David Lean (08 MAR 14:30 & 19:30).
- Science on Screen: RUN LOLA RUN d. Tom Twyker, 1998 + Presentation by Professor Stefano Ruffo at Barbican (08 MAR 18:15).
- Experimenta: TICKET OF NO RETURN aka Bildnis einer Trinkerin d. Ulrike Ottinger, 1979 + Pre-recorded intro remembering Tabea Blumenschein with Ulrike Ottinger at BFI Southbank (08 MAR 18:00).
- WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 + Pre-recorded interview with the director presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (08 MAR 20:30).
- Preview: THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2021 at Olympic Studios (08 MAR 20:40).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (08 MAR 12:45); LEGALLY BLONDE 35mm d. Robert Luketicm 2001 (08 MAR 18:05 – £1 Members’ Screening).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLADE RUNNER: THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (08 MAR 15:25 4K).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): HAPPENING aka L’événement d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 (08 MAR 20:35).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: PUTTING ON A SHOW at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (08 MAR 20:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (08 MAR 15:10).
THE CAMERA IS OURS: BRITAIN’S WOMEN DOCUMENTARY MAKERS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): COW d. Andrea Arnold, 2021 + Q&A with director (08 MAR 20:40).
- Exhibition: Jill Craigie: Film Pioneer.
FOUR BY PENNY MARSHALL at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN d. Penny Marshall, 1992 (08 MAR 20:30).
LETTERBOXD HIGH RISERS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LEGALLY BLONDE 35mm d. Robert Luketicm 2001 (08 MAR 18:05 – £1 Members’ Screening).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (08 MAR 13:00); THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (08 MAR 15:10).
REWARDING DOCS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (08 MAR 13:30); KEYBOARD FANTASIES d. Posy Dixon, 2021 (08 MAR 18:20).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MARIE ANTOINETTE 35mm d. Sofia Coppola, 2006 + Intro by Hannah Strong, Little White Lies Digital Editor and author of Sofia Coppola: Forever Young (08 MAR 18:10); JINN d. Nijla Mu’, 2018 (08 MAR 21:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): POM POKO d. Isao Takahata, 1994 (from 05 MAR); TALES FROM EARTHSEA d. Gorô Miyazaki, 2006 (from 05 MAR).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 (08 MAR 20:45).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): ASHES OF TIME REDUX 35mm d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (08 MAR 12:45).
- Cinema Made in Italy at Ciné Lumière (03 to 07 MAR).
- Glasgow Film Festival (02 to 13 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
ATLANTIS d. Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019:
- Also 04 to 10 MAR (various dates/times): A STARRY SKY ABOVE THE ROMAN GHETTO d. Giulio Base, 2020 at: JW3 // DREAMS aka Sueños d. Marcos Martínez, 2021 at: ICA // THE GODFATHER: PART II d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE SANCTITY OF SPACE d. Renan Ozturk & Freddie Wilkinson, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Genesis Cinema / Rich Mix // THE WORLD WITHOUT YOU d. Damon Shalit, 2019 at: JW3 (from 10 MAR).
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.