TUESDAY 09 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
HI, MOM! d. Brian De Palma, 1970 at The Prince Charles (09 NOV 18:05) / Part of BRIAN DE PALMA.
- “After serving in Vietnam, veteran Jon Rubin (Robert De Niro) arrives in New York City and approaches sleazy producer Joe Banner (Allen Garfield) about directing a pornographic film. Rubin becomes obsessed with his beautiful neighbor, Judy Bishop (Jennifer Salt). He also begins shooting footage of the residents of an apartment building on the other side of the street. Soon, he falls in with a group of militant black activists as he struggles to find meaning in his increasingly unsatisfying life.”
- “An exuberant grab bag of mischievous whimsy that blends radical politics, sexual freedom, racial tension, and emotional hangups with the director’s own catalogue of artistic references.” – The New Yorker.
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored version’ at The Prince Charles (09 NOV 20:15).
- ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (09 NOV 20:00).
- BITTER HARVEST 35mm d. Peter Graham Scott, 1963 at BFI (09 NOV 20:45).
- HI, MOM! d. Brian De Palma, 1970 at The Prince Charles (09 NOV 18:05).
- JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH d. Shaka King, 2021 at The David Lean (09 NOV 19:30).
- KING ROCKER d. Michael Cumming, 2020 + Q&A with the director & Stewart Lee at Everyman Broadgate (09 NOV 20:30).
- THE LAST BUS d. Gillies MacKinnon, 2021 at The David Lean (09 NOV 14:30).
- MAGNOLIA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999 at The Prince Charles (09 NOV 14:15).
- MOTHERING SUNDAY d. Eva Husson, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (09 NOV various).
- MOTHERING SUNDAY d. Eva Husson, 2021 + Q&A with the producers Stephen Wolley & Liza Karlsen at Everyman Belsize Park (09 NOV 20:00).
- MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 at The Prince Charles (09 NOV 20:30).
- THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER d. Charles Laughton, 1955 at The Prince Charles (09 NOV 15:30).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 + Interval at BFI (until 11 NOV various).
- SHE WAS LIKE A WILD CHRYSANTHEMUM 35mm aka Nogiku no gotoki kimi nariki d. Keisuke Kinoshita, 1955 at BFI (09 NOV 18:20).
- Short films by Radu Jude at ICA (09 NOV 18:45).
- THRONE OF BLOOD aka Kumonosu-jô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 at BFI (09 NOV 20:40).
- TOKYO STORY 4k aka Tôkyô monogatari d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1953 at BFI (09 NOV 20:20).
- Travels with my Camera: IS THIS MY COUNTRY? + WHITE TRIBE d. Paul Yule, 2007 + Paul Wilmshurst, 2000 at BFI Southbank (09 NOV 18:10).
- VENUS d. Roger Michell, 2006 tribute screening presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (09 NOV 20:00).
- ZERO DARK THIRTY d. Kathryn Bigelow, 2012 at BFI (09 NOV 14:15).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (09 to 14 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- UK Green Film Festival (03 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
7 PRISONERS aka 7 Prisioneiros d. Alexandre Moratto, 2021.
AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988.
- Also (05 to 11 NOV various dates/times): BULL d. Paul Andrew Williams, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // THE CARD COUNTER d. Paul Schrader, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // MEN WHO SING d. Dylan Williams, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.