TUESDAY 10 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THREE COLOURS: BLUE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at Genesis Cinema (10 AUG 21:00) / Part of AN INTRODUCTION TO KRZYSZTOF KIESLOWSKI.
- “No better time to discover or rediscover one of Europe’s most outstanding directors than right now. THREE COLOURS: BLUE was an immediate success, winning the top prizes at the 1993 Venice Film Festival and unanimous praise from critics and audiences the world over. Julie (Juliette Binoche) loses her composer husband and their child in a car crash and, though devastated, she tries to make a new start, away from her country house and a would-be lover. But music still surrounds her and she uncovers some unpleasant facts about her husband’s life. Slowly Julie learns to live again, as music and the gift of creativity prove to be a healing force.”
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70MM d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored print’ at The Prince Charles (10 AUG 20:15).
- BLACK MILK d. Uisenma Borchu, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Barbican (10 AUG 18:00).
- THE BLUE LAGOON 35MM d. Frank Launder, 1948 + intro by actor Susan Stranks at BFI Southbank (10 AUG 18:00).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS 4K aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at ICA (10 AUG 20:50).
- MATEWAN 4K d. John Sayles, 1987 at BFI Southbank (10 AUG 14:15).
- PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (10 AUG 16:00).
- SALÒ, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM aka Salò o Le 120 giornate di Sodoma d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1975 at BFI Southbank (10 AUG 17:45).
- SAPPHIRE d. Basil Dearden, 1959 + Panel Discussion at BFI Southbank (10 AUG 20:20).
- STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 at The Prince Charles (10 AUG 14:15).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4K aka La Permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI Southbank (10 AUG 17:50) / Part of Cinema Rediscovered on Tour.
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at Genesis Cinema (10 AUG 21:00).
- THREE COLOURS: RED 35MM d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 at The Prince Charles (10 AUG 17:40).
- TIME TO READ POEMS d. Lee Soojung, 2016 at Bertha DocHouse (10 AUG 18:30).
- THE VERDICT d. Sidney Lumet, 1982 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston, NW5 (10 AUG 20:00).
- EX MACHINA d. Alex Garland, 2014 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (10 AUG 17:45).
- THE FAVOURITE d. Yargos Lanthimos, 2018 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (10 AUG 20:30).
- GREASE SING-A-LONG d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (10 AUG 20:30).
- HEATHERS d. Michael Lehmann, 1988 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (10 AUG 20:30).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Also (06 to 12 AUG various): GOODFELLAS 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 AUG various) // PROFILE d. Timur Bekmambetov, 2018 at Rich Mix (06 to 12 AUG various) // WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 (daily 06 to 12 AUG various).
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents Gap the Mind at Phoenix Cinema (23 JUN 2022)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.