TUESDAY 11 JULY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE FABULOUS BARON MUNCHAUSEN d. Karel Zeman, 1962 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (11 JUL 20:00 – Donations requested!).
“The 20th century’s first man lands on the moon and discovers – that Baron Munchausen has already beaten him to it, along with Cyrano and characters from Jules Verne’s lunar-landing novel. The Baron spirits the young cosmonaut by horse-drawn ship back to an ancient “Earth”, where they insult a sultan, rescue a princess, fall in love with the princess, and then as a trio have further experiences in a world of pastel colors, ornate dreamlike settings, and the inevitable angry disrupters of peacefulness and love.” (Sands Films)
- BODY HEAT d. Lawrence Kasdan, 1981 presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (11 JUL 19:00).
- BROKER d. Kore-eda Hirokazu, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (11 JUL 20:00 / 12 JUL 20:00 / 16 JUL 17:00).
- CREAM 2023 Summer Social inc panel discussions & short film programmes at Regent Street Cinema (11 JUL 15:00 – FREE!).
- CRUISING d. William Friedkin, 1980 presented by Triangle LGBTQ+ Cultural Centre at The Lord Clyde (11 JUL 18:00).
- THE DRESSER d. Peter Yates, 1983 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (11 JUL 20:00).
- THE FABULOUS BARON MUNCHAUSEN d. Karel Zeman, 1962 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (11 JUL 20:00 – Donations requested!).
- MY EXTINCTION d. Josh Appignanesi, 2023 + Panel discussion at Rio Cinema (11 JUL 18:30).
- Oasis Knebworth 1996 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Bush Hall (11 JUL 19:30).
- RIBA Film Nights: RADICAL LANDSCAPES d. Elettra Fiumi, + Q&A the director at RIBA (11 JUL 19:00).
- Projecting The Archive: SON OF A STRANGER 35mm d. Ernest Morris, 1958 + Intro by Josephine Botting, BFI Curator at BFI Southbank (11 JUL 18:15).
- SQUARING THE CIRCLE (THE STORY OF HIPGNOSIS) d. Anton Corbijn, 2022 + Q&A with Aubrey “Po” Powell at The Cinema in the Power Station (11 JUL 20:00).
- Classics: TOUCHEZ PAS AU GRISBI d. Jacques Becker, 1954 at Ciné Lumière (11 JUL 20:15 / 13 JUL 16:20).
- YOU CAN LIVE FOREVER d. Mark Slutsky and Sarah Watts, 2022 at The David Lean (11 JUL 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BADLANDS 35mm d. Terrence Malick, 1973 (11 JUL 13:00).
- THE HOST 35mm d. Bong Joon-ho, 2006 (11 JUL 15:35).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE MASTER 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 (11 JUL 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – DEAD RECKONING PART ONE d. Christopher McQuarrie, 2023 (10 to 20 JUL).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THERE’S A PLACE… at BFI Southbank
- THE SEARCHERS d. John Ford, 1956 (11 JUL 20:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- ON THE BOWERY d. Lionel Rogosin, 1956 (11 JUL 18:20).
DRAMA AND DESIRE: THE FILMS OF YOUSSEF CHAHINE at BFI Southbank & Ciné Lumière
- Ciné Lumière: THE SIXTH DAY d. Youssef Chahine, 1986 + Intro by Elum Shakerifar (11 JUL 18:15 ).
EAT THE SCREEN at Barbican
- FOOD COOP d. Tom Boothe, 2016 + Q&A with the director & Arthur Potts-Dawson (11 JUL 20:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (11 JUL 21:00).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Ashes Of Time – Chinese Film Festival (07 to 09 JUL).
- The Earl’s Court International Film Festival Highlights (12 JUL).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 15 JUL).
- Queer Fest (13 to 16 JUL).
- Rob Knox London Film Festival (08 JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- SoHome Horror Pride (29 JUN to 02 JUL – until 08 JUL online).
- Sundance Film Festival London (06 to 09 JUL).
CALENDAR GIRLS dirs Maria Loohufvud & Love Martinsen, 2022
Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse.
Also 07 to 13 JUL (various dates/times):
- SHABU d. Shamira Raphaëla, 2023 at: Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- SMOKING CAUSES COUGHING d. Quentin Dupieux, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- WHERE IS THIS STREET? OR WITH NO BEFORE AND AFTER aka Onde Fica Esta Rua? Ou Sem Antes Nem Depois d. João Pedro Rodrigues & João Rui Guerra da Mata, 2022 at: ICA (from 13 JUL).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.