TUESDAY 13 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE BIG HEAT d. Fritz Lang, 1953 + Q&A with film historian Peter Evans presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (13 JUL 20:30):
- “Police Sergeant Bannion is investigating the apparent suicide of a policeman, when he is suddenly ordered to stop. Bent coppers and systemic corruption drive this classic b&w Hollywood noir, incisively directed by emigré Fritz Lang, visionary creator of the dystopian METROPOLIS and disturbing M.”
- Wimbledon Film Club is a welcoming, award-winning local club, screening at Curzon Wimbledon. Expect “world cinema, best of Brit and indie, festival favourites and films you didn’t know were out there”.
- ARMY OF DARKNESS 35MM d. Sam Raimi, 1992 at The Prince Charles (13 JUL 17:30).
- BATTLE ROYALE aka Batoru rowaiaru d. Kinji Fukasaku, 2000 at The Prince Charles (13 JUL 12:20).
- THE BIG HEAT d. Fritz Lang, 1953 + Q&A with film historian Peter Evans presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (13 JUL 20:30) / Featured attraction of the week!
- BLADE RUNNER : THE FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 at The Prince Charles (13 JUL 20:30).
- THE COMPANY 35MM d. Robert Altman, 2003 at BFI Southbank (13 JUL 17:50).
- DJANGO UNCHAINED 35MM d. Quentin Tarantino, 2012 at The Prince Charles (13 JUL 20:00).
- DON’T GO GENTLE : A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2021 at The Prince Charles (13 JUL 15:00).
- GUNDA d. Viktor Kosakovskiy, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (13 JUL 18:30).
- HAPPY TOGETHER 4K aka Chun gwong cha sit d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 at ICA (13 JUL 13:45).
- HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH 35MM d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2011 at The Prince Charles (daily 09 to 15 JUL not 12 JUL various).
- HERE WE ARE d. Nir Bergman, 2020 at Phoenix Cinema (13 JUL 20:00) / Part of UK Jewish Film: Back to the Cinema.
- LA HAINE d. Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995 at Picturehouse Cinemas (13 JUL various).
- LA NUIT VENUE aka Night Ride d. Frédéric Farrucci, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (13 JUL 18:25).
- MAN ABOUT TOWN aka Le Silence est d’or d. René Clair, 1947 at BFI Southbank (13 JUL 14:15).
- MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS 35MM d. Wong Kar Wai, 2007 at ICA (13 JUL 18:30).
- NINE MONTHS 4K aka Kilenc hónap d. Márta Mészáros, 1976 at BFI Southbank (13 JUL 17:40).
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE 35MM d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 at The Prince Charles (13 JUL 18:00).
- VINCENT AND THEO 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1990 at BFI Southbank (13 JUL 20:30).
- DIRTY DANCING d. Emile Ardolino, 1987 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (13 JUL 21:15).
- FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS d. Terry Gilliam, 1998 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (13 JUL 21:15).
- MEAN GIRLS d. Mark Waters, 2004 at The Luna Cinema at Marble Hill (13 JUL 21:15).
- ROMEO + JULIET d. Baz Luhrmann, 1996 at Bar Elba SE1 (13 JUL 21:00).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- Kendal Mountain Festival UK Tour (15 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
- Also (other venues may be available!): OEDORA d. Judith Abensour, 2021 at ICA // THE LETTER d. Maia Lekow & Christopher King, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse // MOSLEY: IT’S COMPLICATED d. Michael Shevloff, 2020 at The Prince Charles // NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 at Catford Mews // THE SURROGATE d. Jeremy Hersh, 2020 at Barbican / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRAINSPOTTING d. Danny Boyle, 1996 at Catford Mews // THE TRUFFLE HUNTERS Michael Dweck & Gregory Kershaw, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios.
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents TAMMY AND THE T-REX at The Old Queens Head (14 JUL 2022).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.