TUESDAY 18 OCTOBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Science On Screen: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD d. Benh Zeitlin, 2012 + Presentation by Prof. Mark Maslin at Barbican (18 OCT 18:10).
“This 4-time Academy-Award nominated fantasy-drama is a tender gem, exploring the beauty and brutality of nature, as well as the courage and love possessed by one intrepid 6 year old. Six-year-old Hushpuppy (Quvenzhané Wallis) lives with her ailing father Wink (Dwight Henry) on an island in the Louisiana bayou called the Bathtub. When Wink becomes mysteriously ill, nature goes haywire; temperatures begin to rise, which melts the ice caps, unleashing an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs. With water levels rising, the aurochs on the way, and Wink’s good health diminishing, Hushpuppy goes in search of her long-lost mother.”
“Climate change is one of the greatest threats to humanity, but in film it is frequently depicted bleakly in documentaries or as a blockbuster catastrophe. However, this film mixes reality and fantasy to examine its more insidious nature. In this presentation, Mark Maslin (Professor of Earth System Science at UCL) looks at different representations of climate change and asks why the available solutions are so rarely encountered on screen.” (Barbican)
- THE AFRICAN DESPERATE d. Martine Syms, 2022 + Q&A at ICA (18 OCT 18:30).
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT d. Edward Berger, 2022 + Q&A with the director, actors Daniel Brühl & Albrecht Schuch, composer Volker Bertelmann & cinematographer James Friend at Barbican (18 OCT 18:50).
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT d. Edward Berger, 2022 + Q&A with the director and cast Daniel Brühl, Albrecht Schuch, Volker Bertelmann and James Friend at Curzon Bloomsbury (18 OCT 17:40).
- Science On Screen: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD d. Benh Zeitlin, 2012 + Presentation by Prof. Mark Maslin at Barbican (18 OCT 18:10).
- BOTH SIDES OF THE BLADE d. Claire Denis, 2022 at The David Lean (18 OCT 19:30).
- THE COMING WAR ON CHINA d. John Pilger, 2016 + Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (18 OCT 18:00).
- DON QUIXOTE d. Grigori Kozintsev, 1957 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (18 OCT 20:00).
- ERIC RAVILIOUS DRAWN TO WAR d. Margy Kinmonth, 2022 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (18 OCT 20:00).
- HACKING JUSTICE: JULIAN ASSANGE d. Clara López Rubio & Juan Pancorbo, 2021 + Q&A with the director & representatives from Wikileaks & the Julian Assange Defence Committee at Rio Cinema (18 OCT 18:15).
- THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzel, 1972 at Whirled Cinema (18 OCT 20:00 / 19 OCT 20:00 / 23 OCT 17:00).
- MilkTea MixTape: Vol II – Short Film Showcase at The Garden Cinema (18 OCT 19:00).
- MO’ BETTER BLUES d. Spike Lee, 1990 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (18 OCT 20:00).
- NIGHT MOVES d. Kelly Reichardt, 2013 presented by Mondo Nights at Biddle Bros (18 OCT 20:00).
- Queer Identity: Simisolaoluwa Akande short film programme + Q&A at Bermondsey Project Space (18 OCT 19:00).
- SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1957 at The Garden Cinema (18 OCT 20:15).
- YOUNG SOUL REBELS d. Isaac Julien, 1991 presented by Deeper Into Movies at POP Brixton (18 OCT 19:30 – FREE!).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE LOST BOYS 35mm d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 (18 OCT 15:40).
BLACK HISTORY MONTH at The Garden Cinema
- PLAYING AWAY d. Horace Ové, 1987 (18 OCT 15:00).
FRAMES OF MIND: THE FILMS OF PETER GREENAWAY at BFI Southbank
- A ZED & TWO NOUGHTS d. Peter Greenaway, 1985 (18 OCT 18:10).
GARY OLDMAN at BFI Southbank
- ROSENCRANTZ & GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD d. Tom Stoppard, 1990 (18 OCT 18:05).
GUY MADDIN at BFI Southbank
- DRACULA: PAGES FROM A VIRGIN’S DIARY 35mm d. Guy Maddin, 2002 (18 OCT 20:45).
HALLOWEEN at Picturehouse Cinemas
- HATCHING d. Hanna Bergholm, 2022 (from 18 OCT various).
HORROCTOBER – A MONTH OF THRILLS, CHILLS & SPILLS at The Prince Charles
- MAD GOD d. Phil Tippett, 2021 (18 OCT 13:15).
- HELLRAISER d. Clive Barker, 1987 (18 OCT 13:30).
- THE LOST BOYS 35mm d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 (18 OCT 15:40).
- URBAN LEGEND d. Jamie Blanks, 1998 (18 OCT 18:10).
- HEREDITARY d. Ari Aster, 2018 (18 OCT 20:30).
- A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET d. Wes Craven, 1984 (18 OCT 21:00).
IN DREAMS ARE MONSTERS at BFI Southbank
- Beast: FRANKENSTEIN d. James Whale, 1931 (18 OCT 20:50).
- Re-releases: THE OTHERS d. Alejandro Amenábar, 2001 (17 to 30 OCT).
SPOTLIGHT ON ISABELLE HUPPERT at Ciné Lumière
- TIME OF THE WOLF 35mm aka Le temps du loup d. Michael Haneke, 2003 (18 OCT 18:15).
- MRS HARRIS GOES TO PARIS d. Anthony Fabian, 2021 + Q&A with the costume designer Jenny Beavan (18 OCT 20:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (18 OCT 15:20).
- BFI London Film Festival (05 to 16 OCT).
- British Horror Film Festival (15 OCT).
- Ethiopian Film Week (14 to 16 OCT).
- Factual Animation Film Festival (16 OCT 14:00).
- Fête du Cinéma d’Animation (02 to 28 OCT).
- The Hidden Film Festival (14 OCT).
- London East Asian Film Festival (19 to 30 OCT).
- Ocean Film Festival World Tour (18 to 21 OCT).
- Also 14 to 20 OCT (various dates/times): ALL IS VANITY d. Marcos Mereles, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas // ALL THAT BREATHES d. Shaunak Sen, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Ciné Lumière / The Garden Cinema / ICA // THE TREASURES OF CRIMEA d. Oeke Hoogendijk, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.