TUESDAY: What’s on in London today [21/02/23]
TUESDAY 21 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
SLEEPING BEAUTY d. Julia Leigh, 2011 + Arty zine launch, presented by Zodiac Film Club at The Castle Cinema (21 FEB 18:45).
Lucy, an impassive but wry student, works a series of manual jobs to support herself. Her constant search for employment leads her to a mysterious role as a ‘Sleeping Beauty’, an experience that requires her to be completely unconscious. Despite the monetary rewards, Lucy becomes obsessed with finding out what happens to her when she is asleep…
“Divisive in both its critical and commercial receptions for its perverse, opaque lead character and ambiguous depiction of female passivity, the film has nonetheless been lauded for its confident directorial style and unforgettable beauty. But it was particularly the film’s cult ‘Tumblr girl’ following that inspired us to explore the film more deeply. After months of analysing and deconstructing, we’re excited to share it with you anew.”
“Arty is a magazine edited by artist, gallerist and academic Cathy Lomax. For this special collaborative issue edited by Zodiac Film Club, SLEEPING BEAUTY is explored through commissioned essays, fan art and an interview with the film’s production designer Annie Beauchamp, along with director’s notes kindly contributed by Julia Leigh. Copies of the magazine will be on sale at the event for a special price.”
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (21 FEB 20:00 / 22 FEB 20:00 / 26 FEB 17:00).
- Black Cyclone: Africa & its Diaspora’s Love for the Bicycle short film programme + Panel discussion presented by Emerging Film Curators 2022 at Barbican (21 FEB 18:45).
- BROKER d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: ActOne Cinema (21 FEB 20:30); Curzon Cinemas (21 FEB various); Genesis Cinema (21 FEB 18:00); Picturehouse Cinemas (21 FEB various); Regent Street Cinema (21 FEB 17:00); Rio Cinema (21 FEB 18:15).
- HENRY AND JUNE 35mm dir Philip Kaufman, 1990 presented by Lost Reels at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 18:00).
- HOLY SPIDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2022 raising funds for the Disasters Emergency Committee Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal, at The Garden Cinema (21 FEB 20:40).
- Projecting the Archive: I’LL GET YOU FOR THIS 35mm aka Lucky Nick Cain d. Joseph M. Newman, 1950 + Intro by Rosie Taylor, Curatorial Archivist, BFI National Archive at BFI Southbank (21 FEB 18:20).
- L’ARGENT d. Marcel L’Herbier, 1928 presented online & in-venue by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (21 FEB 19:30 – Donation requested).
- PETER VON KANT d. François Ozon, 2022 for LGBT History Month at The David Lean (21 FEB 19:30).
- THE QUIET GIRL d. Colm Bairéad, 2022 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (21 FEB 20:00).
- SLEEPING BEAUTY d. Julia Leigh, 2011 + Arty zine launch, presented by Zodiac Film Club at The Castle Cinema (21 FEB 18:45).
- THE WHITE SHEIK d. Federico Fellini, 1952 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (21 FEB 20:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- HENRY & JUNE 35mm d. Philip Kaufman, 1990 presented by Lost Reels (21 FEB 18:00).
- WHALE RIDER 35mm d. Niki Caro, 2003 (21 FEB 18:15 – £1 Members Film).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Family: THRONE OF BLOOD aka Kumonosu-jô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 (21 FEB 18:10).
- Talks & Events: Philosophical Screens: THRONE OF BLOOD (21 FEB 20:10).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (17 to 23 FEB).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 (until 23 FEB).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- WITHNAIL & I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (21 FEB 15:45).
- EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (21 FEB 20:40 – 4K).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- FILM SOCIALISME d. Jean-Luc Godard, 2010 (21 FEB 18:20).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 31= 8½ d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (21 FEB 14:30).
- 50= THE PIANO d. Jane Campion, 1993 (21 FEB 17:50).
- 35 PATHER PANCHALI 4K d. Satyajit Ray, 1955 (21 FEB 20:35).
- 63= THE THIRD MAN 4K d. Carol Reed, 1949 (21 FEB 20:40).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- WHALE RIDER 35mm d. Niki Caro, 2003 (21 FEB 18:15).
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (21 FEB 21:00).
WEIMAR CINEMA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (21 FEB various).
YOU BEAUTIES: NEW AUSTRALIAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank
- So-Called Australia: Blak Art on Film + TERROR NULLIUS d. Soda Jerk, 2018 (21 FEB 20:30).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON dir. Dean Fleischer-Camp, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
NOSTALGIA dir. Mario Martone, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex
THE SON dir. Florian Zeller, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Ciné Lumière / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 17 to 23 FEB (various dates/times):
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 at: Barbican./ Picturehouse Cinemas.
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- SHARPER d. Benjamin Caron, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
- The Essay Film Festival at ICA & Birkbeck Cinema (25 to 31 MAR 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ‘Turkish Star Wars’ to raise funds for the Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal at The Old Queens Head (03 APR 2023 – extra screening 05 APR!)
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.