TUESDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BUCK & THE PREACHER d. Sidney Poitier, 1972 in tribute to Sidney Poitier presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (22 FEB 20:00):
“Sidney Poitier’s directorial debut is a revisionist Western that sees him paired for the first time with equally legendary Harry Belafonte.”
“Poitier stars as Buck, an ex-Union Army Cavalry sergeant who becomes a scout for freed slaves heading to the Colorado frontier. Tagging along with him are his wife (Ruby Dee in a scene-stealing performance) and a Bible-thumping con artist known as the Preacher (Belafonte). Attacked by racist bounty hunters determined to return the former slaves to a life of sharecropping in Louisiana, Buck and his followers must summon all the courage they have in order to reach their destination and help settle the Wild West.”
“A refreshing change from many typical Western tropes and a testament to Poitier’s ongoing desire to shake up the Hollywood status quo.” (Tufnell Park Film Club)
- BUCK & THE PREACHER d. Sidney Poitier, 1972 in tribute to Sidney Poitier presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (22 FEB 20:00).
- GIEREK d. Michal Wegrzyn, 2022 in-venue screening followed by on-line discussion with Michael Brooke at Watermans (22 FEB 19:00 + 23 FEB 20:00).
- THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ANDRÉ d. Kate Novack, 2017 at The Lexi Cinema (22 FEB 18:15).
- HAPPINESS d. Todd Solondz, 1998 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (22 FEB 19:30).
- LIMBO d. Ben Sharrock, 2020 + Recorded intro by the director presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (22 FEB 20:30).
- LINGUI, THE SACRED BONDS d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2021 + Intro presented by We Are Black Journos at Genesis Cinema (22 FEB 18:30).
- MASTER CHENG aka Mestari Cheng d. Mika Kaurismäki, 2019 at Picturehouse Cinemas (22 FEB various).
- PARALLEL MOTHERS d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2021 at The David Lean (22 FEB 14:30 & 19:30 / 23 FEB 19:30 / 26 FEB 14:00).
- P.S. BURN THIS LETTER PLEASE d. Michael Seligman & Jennifer Tiexiera, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (22 FEB 18:20).
- SPENCER d. Pablo Larrain, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (22 FEB 20:00 / 23 FEB 20:00 / 27 FEB 17:00).
4K PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH 4K d. Joel Coen, 2021 (22 FEB 13:00 4K); DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (22 FEB 18:20).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 (22 FEB 15:25).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (22 FEB 20:45 70mm).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ROPE d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1948 (22 FEB 14:30); A FANTASTIC WOMAN aka Una mujer fantástica d. Sebastian Lelio, 2017 (22 FEB 20:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISION IN DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Directed by Guillermo, 2021 (22 FEB 20:00); THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH 4K d. Joel Coen, 2021 (22 FEB 13:00 4K).
THE FILMS OF PATRICK WANG at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE GRIEF OF OTHERS d. Patrick Wang, 2015 (22 FEB 20:40).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ANNE AND MURIEL aka Les Deux Anglaises et le continent d. François Truffaut, 1971 (22 FEB 20:25).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MISSISSIPPI MERMAID aka La Sirène du Mississippi d. François Truffaut, 1969 (22 FEB 18:00).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): WE DON’T NEED A MAP d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 (22 FEB 18:30).
JULIA DUCOURNAU at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (22 FEB 12:10).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): PORCO ROSSO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1992 (from 18 FEB); MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (from 19 FEB).
THE TWISTED TALES OF GUILLERMO DEL TORO at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISION IN DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Directed by Guillermo, 2021 (22 FEB 20:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (22 FEB 18:20).
- BFI Future Film Festival (17 to 20 FEB – Ages 16 to 25 only).
- Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (22 FEB).
THE BEATLES: GET BACK – THE ROOFTOP CONCERT d. Peter Jackson, 2022:
- Various dates, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
HERE BEFORE d. Stacey Gregg, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: Curzon Cinemas.
- Also 18 to 24 FEB (various dates/times): KISS ME KOSHER d. Shirel Peleg, 2020 at: JW3 (21 to 28 FEB) // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: Rio Cinema // THE SILENCE OF THE MOLE d. Anais Taracena, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE TALE OF KING CRAB aka Re Granchio d. Alessio Rigo de Righi & Matteo Zoppis, 2021 at: ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.