TUESDAY 23 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE AMERICAN SECTOR d. Courtney Stephens & Pacho Velez, 2020 UK Premiere + Q&A with the directors & Dr Martin Brady at Barbican (23 NOV 19:00) / Part of Architecture on Film.
- “Following its fall in 1989, many sections of the Berlin Wall migrated to the US. A cinematic road trip to these artefacts of geopolitical division becomes a nuanced reflection on ‘the free world’. Vignettes in 16mm capture these slabs of the Wall in their eccentric, wide-ranging American situ – from behind the Hard Rock Café in Universal Studios, to George W Bush’s Presidential Library – while collected conversations with the relics’ custodians, owners and passers-by, allow the Wall’s mute concrete to become a conduit for discussions of present day freedom, borders, and nationhood.”
- THE AMERICAN SECTOR d. Courtney Stephens & Pacho Velez, 2020 UK Premiere + Q&A with the directors & Dr Martin Brady at Barbican (23 NOV 19:00) / Part of Architecture on Film.
- AUTUMN SONATA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1978 presented by No Bollox Film Club at The Castle Cinema (23 NOV 19:00).
- CAREER GIRLS d. Mike Leigh, 1997 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (23 NOV 18:00).
- THE CONFESSION aka L’Aveu d. Costa-Gavras, 1970 at Ciné Lumière (23 NOV 17:45).
- EARLY SPRING 4k aka Sôshun d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1956 at BFI Southbank (23 NOV 17:40).
- THE FATHER d. Florian Zeller, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (23 NOV 20:00).
- GIMME SHELTER d. Albert Maysles, David Maysles & Charlotte Zwerin, 1970 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (23 NOV 20:00).
- GODZILLA aka Gojira d. Ishirô Honda, 1954 at BFI Southbank (23 NOV 20:40).
- I DO NOT CARE IF WE GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS BARBARIANS d. Radu Jude, 2018 at ICA (23 NOV 18:15).
- LAST NIGHT IN SOHO d. Edgar Wright, 2021 at The David Lean (23 NOV 19:30).
- LIFE IS SWEET d. Mike Leigh, 1990 at BFI Southbank (23 NOV 20:50).
- THE MASTER 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 at The Prince Charles (23 NOV 20:25).
- MICHAEL CLAYTON 35mm d. Tony Gilroy, 2007 at The Prince Charles (23 NOV 18:00).
- MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 presented by Wimbledon Film Club + Q&A with Dr. Daria Mattingley at Curzon Wimbledon (23 NOV 20:30) / Part of Ukrainian Film Festival.
- NEVER GONNA SNOW AGAIN d. Małgorzata Szumowska & Michał Englert, 2020 at The David Lean (23 NOV 14:30).
- THE SMALL WORLD OF SAMMY LEE d. Ken Hughes, 1963 at BFI Southbank (23 NOV 14:30).
- UN FLIC d. Jean-Pierre Melville, 1972 at BFI Southbank (23 NOV 20:45).
- EFG London Jazz Festival (12 to 21 NOV).
- Frames Of Representation (25 NOV to 04 DEC).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- From Venice To London (18 to 22 NOV).
- Irish Film Festival London (17 to 21 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- London Migration Film Festival (25 NOV to 01 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (19 NOV to 03 DEC).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Ocean Film Festival (16 to 24 NOV).
- Ukrainian Film Festival (22 NOV to 06 DEC).
- Also (19 to 25 NOV various dates/times): BRUISED d. Halle Berry, 2020 at: Curzon Cinemas // CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at: The Prince Charles // THE JUMP d. Giedrė Žickytė, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 at: Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Bermondsey / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix // ROCKY IV: ROCKY VS DRAGO [Ultimate Director’s Cut] d. Sylvester Stallone, 1985 at: The Prince Charles.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.