TUESDAY 24 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
PINA d. Wim Winders, 2011 at Barbican Sculpture Court (24 AUG 20:30).
- “Breath-taking cinematography captures some of Bausch’s most celebrated performances in this Oscar-nominated documentary from acclaimed German director Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas and The Buena Vista Social Club). Follow the legendary ensemble out of the theatre and into the streets of Wuppertal, Germany, which was the home and centre for Bausch’s creativity for 35 years.”
- 35 SHOTS OF RUM d. Claire Denis, 2008 at Genesis Cinema (24 AUG 18:35).
- APOCALYPSE NOW [Theatrical Edition] 35MM d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 at The Prince Charles (24 AUG 12:15).
- CHRONICLE OF ANNA MAGDALENA BACH d. Jean Marie Straub & Daniele Huillet, 1967 presented by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (24 AUG 20:00 – Free!).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 20 to 26 AUG various).
- THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER d. Peter Greenaway, 1989 at Olympic Studios (24 AUG 20:40).
- DEFENDING YOUR LIFE d. Albert Brooks, 1991 at The Prince Charles (24 AUG 17:45).
- THE NANNY 35MM d. Seth Holt, 1965 at BFI (24 AUG 20:45).
- NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI (daily until 26 AUG various times).
- ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS 4K d. Howard Hawks, 1939 at BFI (24 AUG 14:15).
- THE ORPHANAGE aka Parwareshghah d. Shahrbanoo Sadat, 2019 at ICA (24 AUG 16:30).
- POSSESSION d. Andrzej Zulawski, 1981 curated by Prano Bailey-Bond at the Prince Charles (24 AUG 20:30).
- THE PRINCE OF NOTHINGWOOD d. Sonia Kronlund, 2021 at ICA (24 AUG 20:40).
- SOUAD d. Ayten Amin, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (24 AUG 18:00) / Part of Woman With A Movie Camera.
- SOUAD d. Ayten Amin, 2021 at Picturehouse Cinemas (24 AUG various).
- THE THING d. John Carpenter, 1982 at BFI (24 AUG 20:50).
- THREE COLOURS: RED d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 at Genesis Cinema (24 AUG 21:00).
- THE UNTOUCHABLES d. Brian De Palma, 1988 at BFI (24 AUG 14:30).
- WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? d. Robert Aldrich, 1962 at BFI (24 AUG 18:10).
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU d. Gil Junger, 1999 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (24 AUG 20:00)
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (24 AUG 20:00).
- PINA d. Wim Winders, 2011 at Barbican Sculpture Court (24 AUG 20:30).
- ROCKETMAN d. Dexter Fletcher, 2019 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (24 AUG 20:15).
- WALL-E d. Andrew Stanton, 2008 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (24 AUG 17:45).
A SONG CALLED HATE d. Anna Hildur Hildibrandsdóttir, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 20 to 26 AUG).
- Also (20 to 26 AUG various dates/times): NEW ORDER aka Nuevo orden d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière (from 25 AUG) / ICA // THE NIGHT HOUSE d. David Bruckner, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema // SABAYA d. Hogir Hirori, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Picturehouse Cinemas // UNDERGROUND aka Souterrain d. Sophie Dupuis, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.