TUESDAY: What’s on in London today [25/04/23]
TUESDAY 25 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
Projecting The Archive: INTIMATE RELATIONS 35mm d. Charles Frank, 1953 + Intro by Vic Pratt, BFI Video Publishing at BFI Southbank (25 APR 18:20).
“Seventy years ago, this British adaptation of Jean Cocteau’s Les Parents terribles premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, where it had an enthusiastic reception. But Adelphi Films had struggled to get their low-budget version to the screen, as British censors deemed the script far too sordid for provincial audiences. The tangle of Oedipal, extra-marital and intergenerational liaisons leads to taut interplay and director and writer Frank creates claustrophobia in both setting and atmosphere. The five actors ably convey the narrative’s emotional intensity, especially Swedish star Elsy Albiin, in her first British film, and Ruth Dunning as the spinster sister.” (BFI)
- A TASTE OF HONEY d. Tony Richardson, 1961 in homage to Murray Melvin, presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (25 APR 20:00 – Donation requested!).
- BELLA CIAO, SONG OF REBELLION d. Andrea Vogt, 2021 presented by Millstream Films & Media at The Garden Cinema (25 APR 20:00).
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez Mesén, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (25 APR 20:00 / 26 APR 20:00 / 30 APR 17:00).
- Projecting The Archive: INTIMATE RELATIONS 35mm d. Charles Frank, 1953 + Intro by Vic Pratt, BFI Video Publishing at BFI Southbank (25 APR 18:20).
- MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE d. Nagisa Ôshima, 1983 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (25 APR 20:00).
- THE NIGHT OF THE 12TH d. Dominik Moll, 2022 at The David Lean (25 APR 19:30).
Check venues for full listings…
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (25 APR 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (21 to 26 APR).
- THE THREE MUSKATEERS: D’ARTAGNAN d. Martin Bourboulon, 2023 (21 to 27 APR).
- ANIME: SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (25 APR 16:30).
10 YEARS OF A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- AMERICAN HONEY d. Andrea Arnold, 2016 (25 APR various).
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- THE PHANTOM OF LIBERTY aka Le fantôme de la liberté d. Luis Buñuel, 1974 (25 APR 15:35).
A LUKAS MOODYSSON SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- A HOLE IN MY HEART aka Ett hål i mitt hjärta d. Lukas Moodysson, 2004 (25 APR 18:00 – £1 Members Film).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (25 APR 18:00).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY d. Charles Walters, 1949 (25 APR 20:40).
IN FOCUS: ALBERT SERRA at Ciné Lumière & ICA
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at Ciné Lumière (21 to 27 APR various).
- STORY OF MY DEATH aka Història de la meva mort d. Albert Serra, 2013 at ICA (25 APR 18:20).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #25 – AU HASARD BALTHAZAR d. Robert Bresson, 1966 (25 APR 18:30).
TI WEST’S X AND PEARL at The Prince Charles
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (22 to 23 APR).
- Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- New Cross & Deptford Free Film Festival (21 to 30 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
A THOUSAND AND ONE dir A.V. Rockwell, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
EVIL DEAD RISE dir Lee Cronin, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
HOW TO BLOW UP A PIPELINE dir Daniel Goldhaber, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema
THE THREE MUSKETEERS: D’ARTAGNAN dir Martin Bourboulon, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema
Also 21 to 27 APR (various dates/times):
- A CLEVER WOMAN d. Jon Sanders, 2022 at: ICA.
- FREE MONEY d. Lauren DeFilippo & Sam Soko, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas.
- ROBERTA d. Antonino D’Ambrosio, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- SICK OF MYSELF dir Kristoffer Borgli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.