TUESDAY 26 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ERASERHEAD d. David Lynch, 1977 + Pre-screening drinks + Intro by The Evolution Of Horror podcast at Genesis Cinema (26 APR 19:30+).
“David Lynch’s 1977 debut feature, ERASERHEAD, is both a lasting cult sensation and a work of extraordinary craft and beauty. With its mesmerizing black-and-white photography by Frederick Elmes and Herbert Cardwell, evocative sound design, and unforgettably enigmatic performance by Jack Nance, this visionary nocturnal odyssey continues to haunt American cinema like no other film.”
“The Evolution of Horror is a weekly podcast in which Mike Muncer, the host, explores the history of the horror genre by delving into particular sub-genres across several weeks. each episode mike is joined by a different guest: a critic, filmmaker or expert, to discuss a particular film in depth, to look at it’s place within a sub-genre and it’s impact and legacy on cinema history.(Evolution of Horror)
- ALI & AVA d. Clio Barnard, 2021 at The David Lean (26 APR 19:30).
- CODA d. Sian Heder, 2021 at The David Lean (26 APR 14:30).
- CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 at Phoenix Cinema (26 APR 18:00).
- ERASERHEAD d. David Lynch, 1977 + Pre-screening drinks + Intro by The Evolution Of Horror podcast at Genesis Cinema (26 APR 19:30).
- GASLIGHT d. George Cukor, 1944 at The Garden Cinema (26 APR 20:45).
- INTO ETERNITY d. Michael Madsen, 2010 presented in-venue & on-line by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sans Films Studios (26 APR 20:00 / Donation requested!).
- THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2017 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (26 APR 20:00).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 at Close-Up Centre (26 APR 20:00).
- WEST SIDE STORY d. Steven Spielberg, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (26 APR 20:00 / 27 APR 20:00 / 01 MAY 17:00).
- YOUR MUM AND DAD d. Klaartje Quirijns, 2019 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (26 APR 18:20).
- ALIEN: Theatrical Version d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (26 APR 12:00 & 17:50).
- ALIENS: Director’s Cut d. James Cameron, 1986 at The Prince Charles (26 APR 14:35 & 20:30).
- ALIEN + ALIENS Double Bill at Picturehouse Cinemas (26 APR various).
Check venues for full listings…
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- THE CASE OF HANA & ALICE aka Hana to Arisu Satsujin Jiken d. Shunji Iwai, 2015 (26 APR 20:55).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (26 APR 20:45).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- HAPPENING aka L’événement d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 (until 20 MAY various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- BABETTE’S FEAST aka Babettes Gaestebud d. Gabriel Axel, 1987 (26 APR 20:40).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- A DRY WHITE SEASON d. Euzhan Palcy, 1989 (26 APR 18:20).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 28 APR various).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- AUTUMN SONATA 4K aka Sonata Höstsonaten d. Ingmar Bergman, 1978 + Extended intro by Melanie Iredale, Director, Birds’ Eye View (26 APR 18:10).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Kennington Bioscope Silent Laughter Weekend (23 to 24 APR).
- Unrestricted View Film Festival (25 APR to 01 MAY).
- Women Of The Lens Film Festival (23 & 30 APR).
SAINT-NARCISSE dir. Bruce LaBruce, 2020:
- Various venues, inc: ICA
THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT dir. Tom Gormican, 2021:
- Also 22 to 28 APR (various dates/times): ENNIO dir. Giuseppe Tornatore, 2021: Bertha DocHouse / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // FIREBIRD dir. Peeter Rebane, 2021 at: BFI / Peckhamplex // TONIGHT’S HOMEWORK dir. Ashkan Nejati & Mehran Nematollahi, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.