TUESDAY 27 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE d. Peter Yates, 1973 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (27 JUL 20:00).
- “In one of the best performances of his legendary career, Robert Mitchum plays world-weary, small-time gunrunner, Eddie ‘Fingers’ Coyle. Living hand to mouth, Coyle works the sidelines of the seedy Boston underworld. But when he finds himself facing a second stretch of hard time, he’s forced to weigh loyalty to his criminal colleagues against snitching to stay free.”
- Tufnell Park Film Club shows “a great film every Tuesday in the upstairs room of The Lord Palmerston, a long-established pub, just a short walk from Tufnell Park tube. The club was set up in July 2012 by Nigel Smith and Wayne Gooderham.”
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 12:15).
- ATLANTIS d. Valentyn Vasyanovych, 2019 at ICA (27 JUL 20:30).
- BLADE RUNNER 2049 d. Denis Villeneuve, 2017 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 20:00).
- COOKIE’S FORTUNE d. Robert Altman, 1999 at BFI Southbank (27 JUL 17:40).
- THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE d. Peter Yates, 1973 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (27 JUL 20:00).
- GET CARTER: 50th Anniversary d. Mike Hodges, 1971 at Olympic Studios (27 JUL 20:10).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 at Picturehouse Cinemas (27 JUL various).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 at Genesis Cinema (27 JUL 21:05).
- GORBACHEV. HEAVEN d. Vitaly Mansky, 2020 presented by Klassiki at Bertha DocHouse (27 JUL 18:30).
- THE GREAT NHS HEIST d. Drew McFadyen, 2019 + Q&A with Bob Gill at Genesis Cinema (27 JUL 18:25).
- THE HAND [Director’s Cut] d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at ICA (27 JUL 17:00).
- HEAD-ON aka Gegen die Wand d. Fatih Akin, 2004 + Short: SORRY, MY SOMALI IS NOT VERY GOOD d. Warda Mohamed, 2020 at BFI Southbank (27 JUL 20:40).
- THE HEIRESSES 4K aka Orökség d. Márta Mészáros, 1980 at BFI Southbank (27 JUL 20:30).
- HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019 + Q&A with film journalist Leigh Singer presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (27 JUL 20:30).
- I NEVER CRY aka Jak najdalej stad d. Piotr Domalewski, 2020 at Watermans + Film talk with Michael Brooke afterwards online (27 JUL 19:00 – Online talk 28 JUL 20:00).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI Southbank (27 JUL 14:40).
- LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laura Fairrie, 2021 + Recorded Q&A at Picturehouse Cinemas (27 JUL various).
- MAGNOLIA 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 11:30).
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1975 at ICA (27 JUL 20:55).
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE 35MM d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 17:35).
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 at BFI Southbank (27 JUL 14:30).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (27 JUL 21:00).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Bar Elba SE1 (27 JUL 21:00).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (27 JUL 21:00).
- HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE d. Taika Waititi, 2016 at Archlight Cinema (27 JUL 17:30).
- THOR: RAGNAROK d. Taika Waititi, 2017 at Archlight Cinema (27 JUL 20:15).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- I-D-E-N-T-I-T-I-E-S Latin American Film Festival (24 to 25 JUL).
- Sundance Film Festival (29 JUL to 01 AUG).
- Wonderous Stories Film Festival (23 to 25 JUL).
GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978
- Daily: JW3 (not 24 JUL).
TAXI DRIVER 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1976
- Daily: The Prince Charles (not 25 JUL).
- Also (23 to 29 JUL various): A THOUSAND CUTS d. Ramona S. Diaz, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // HERE WE ARE d. Nir Bergman, 2020 at Barbican / JW3 / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // I NEVER CRY aka Jak najdalej stad d. Piotr Domalewski, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas // NIGHT OF THE KINGS aka La Nuit des rois d. Philippe Lacôte, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema // THE WORLD TO COME d. Mona Fastvold, 2020 at Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).
- Sonic Cinema presents A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 2021).
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!
- Twisted Folk, a season of folk horror films at Catford Mews (02 OCT to 10 NOV 2021).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.