TUESDAY 28 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID d. Roy George Hill, 1969 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (28 MAR 20:00).
Screened in tribute to Burt Bacharach (1931 – 2018)
“Paul Newman and Robert Redford star as Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid: leaders of the infamous Hole-In-The-Wall-Gang, who are forced to go on the run after a train robbery goes wrong. But the Wild West is becoming civilized, and evading their pursuers proves more tricky than usual… George Roy Hill’s comically elegiac Western-cum-buddy pic chronicles the (mostly) true tale of the charismatic outlaws’ last months – with great support from Katherine Ross as their long-suffering girlfriend (yes, their: it’s complicated.) Bacharach and David’s ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head’ won the Academy Award for best song, and the late great William Goldman won Best Original Screenplay.” (Tufnell Park Film Club)
- THE AGE OF INNOCENCE: 30th Anniversary 4K Restoration d. Martin Scorsese, 1993 at The Garden Cinema (28 MAR 17:35 / 30 MAR 20:15).
- BULLITT d. Peter Yates, 1968 at Olympic Studios (28 MAR 20:00).
- BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID d. Roy George Hill, 1969 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (28 MAR 20:00).
- THE DOO DAH MAN d. Claude Green, 2015 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (28 MAR 20:30).
- FASHION REIMAGINED d. Becky Hutner, 2022 + Clothes swap, presented by Loanhood at Genesis Cinema (28 MAR 18:45).
- Short: THE FOREVER LOVE d. Lily Harte & Sour Neon, 2023 short film premiere at The Glory (28 MAR 19:00).
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 at The David Lean (28 MAR 19:30).
- MARIUPOLIS 2 d. Mantas Kvedaravičius & Hanna Bilobrova, 2022 + Q&A with producer Uljana Kim and editor Dounia Sichov, hosted by Kateryna Khinkulova, presented by New East Cinema at Barbican (28 MAR 18:00).
- THE ORGANISER aka I Compagni d. Mario Monicelli, 1963 presented in-venue and online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (28 MAR 20:00).
- SPACE IS THE PLACE d. John Coney, 1974 presented by Mondo Nights at Biddle Bros (28 MAR 20:00).
- Preview: TETRIS d. Jon S. Baird, 2023 at Everyman Cinemas (28 MAR various).
- THE WOMAN KING d. Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (28 MAR 20:00 / 29 MAR 20:00 / 02 APR 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- FANTASIA 35mm d. Various, 1940 (28 MAR 17:35).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 d. Chad Stahelski, 2023 (23 to 30 MAR).
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- TRISTANA d. Luis Buñuel, 1970 (28 MAR 12:45).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (28 MAR 13:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (28 MAR 20:50).
DISNEY MATINEES at The Prince Charles
- FANTASIA 35mm d. Various, 1940 (28 MAR 17:35).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- SHALL WE DANCE 35mm d. Mark Sandrich, 1937 (28 MAR 18:20).
MOIS DE LA FRANCOPHONIE 2023 at Ciné Lumière
- THE BEASTS aka As bestas d. Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022 (23 MAR to 02 APR).
- THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables dir. Léa Mysius, 2022 (24 MAR to 06 APR).
OBSESSIONS at Bertha DocHouse
- GEOGRAPHIES OF SOLITUDE d. Jacquelyn Mills, 2022 (28 MAR 18:20).
OUTSIDERS AND EXILES: THE FILMS OF JERZY SKOLIMOWSKI at BFI Southbank
- THE SHOUT d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 1978 + Intro by the director (28 MAR 20:45).
- Talks etc: Jerzy Skolimowski in Conversation (28 MAR 18:30).
SERPENTINE CINEMA: MENELAOS KARRAMAGHIOLIS at Close-Up & Ciné Lumière
- LIFE CINEMATIC at Ciné Lumière (28 MAR 19:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (28 MAR 15:00).
- BFI Flare (15 to 26 MAR).
- Do More Movement Film Festival (30 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (16 to 26 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- RAI Film Festival (03 to 31 MAR).
- TNB Xpo 2023 (29 to 31 MAR).
- WatchAUT 2023 (23 to 26 MAR).
Also 24 to 30 MAR (various dates/times):
- 1976 dir. Manuela Martelli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI Southbank / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- A COMPASSIONATE SPY dir. Steve James, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- A GOOD PERSON dir. Zach Braff, 2023 at: The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- THE COW WHO SANG A SONG INTO THE FUTURE d. Francisca Alegría, 2022 at: The Garden Cinema.
- DANCE CRAZE dir. Joe Massot, 1981 at (limited engagements!): ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.