TUESDAY 29 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Early Days of Anime Shorts Programme 1917-1946 + Intro by Helen McCarthy & Live piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne (29 MAR 18:00) / Part of ANIME at BFI Southbank:
“This collection of rarely seen anime shorts is an opportunity to look at the way the form evolved over the early, formative days of cinema and features different styles and genres. Contains imagery of blackface.” (BFI)
- THE BIG CHILL d. Lawrence Kasdan, 1983 at Olympic Studios (29 MAR 20:00).
- COME AND SEE d. Elem Klimov, 1985 at The Prince Charles (29 MAR 20:35).
- DIE GEDULD DER ROSA LUXEMBURG d. Margarethe von Trotta, 1986 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club (29 MAR 20:00).
- MARIO PUZO’S THE GODFATHER, CODA: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL CORLEONE d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1990 at Everyman Cinemas (29 & 30 MAR various).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at The David Lean (29 MAR 19:00).
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (29 MAR 20:00).
- RESPECT d. Liesl Tommy, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (29 MAR 20:00 / 30 MAR 20:00 / 03 APR 17:00).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Picturehouse Cinemas (25 to 31 MAR various).
- Film Festivals on Japan in the UK – The Road to Pressing the Play Button – Panel Discussion (29 MAR 12:30 – FREE!).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Early Days of Anime Shorts Programme 1917-1946 + Intro by Helen McCarthy & Live piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne (29 MAR 18:00); WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE aka Omoide No Mani d. Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2014 (29 MAR 20:40).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (29 MAR 15:00).
- See also STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER.
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (until 31 MAR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LOURDES 35mm d. Jessica Hausner, 2009 (29 MAR 20:50).
CHER ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MERMAIDS d. Richard Benjamin, 1990 (29 MAR 18:10).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN aka L’Homme qui aimait les femmes d. François Truffaut, 1977 (29 MAR 18:00).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 (29 MAR 14:30).
ONE AND DONE at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): VICTORIA d. Sebastian Schipperm, 2015 (29 MAR 20:45).
OSCAR BEST PICTURE WINNERS at Everyman Belsize Park
- Includes (check venue for listings): ON THE WATERFRONT d. Elia Kazan, 1954 (29 MAR 15:00).
OSCAR NOMINEES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PARALLEL MOTHERS d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2021 (25 to 31 MAR); LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 04 APR various).
OSCAR® WEEK at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Best Live Action Shorts (29 MAR 18:10); CODA d. Siân Heder, 2021 (29 MAR 20:40).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): SPIRITED AWAY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (from 26 MAR).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
Ukraine Fundraiser: CHERNOBYL: THE LOST TAPES d. James Jones, 2022:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD aka Verdens verste menneske d. Joachim Trier, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi Cinema /Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
- Also 25 to 31 MAR (various dates/times): CHOPPER: 20th Anniversary d. Andrew Dominik, 2000 at: Genesis Cinemas / Prince Charles Cinema // ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU d. Seung-wan Ryu, 2021: Curzon Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 // VALLEY OF SOULS aka Tantas almas d. Nicolás Rincón Gille, 2019 at: ICA // XUETA ISLAND d. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3 (from 29 MAR).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.