TUESDAY 30 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Women In Revolt short film programme presented by Shorts On Tap at Rich Mix (30 MAY 19:30).
“Shorts On Tap’s award-winning series Women in Revolt is back with a brand new season focusing on works directed and produced by women. Women in Revolt will feature a selection of extraordinary short films from all around the world. Screenings will be followed by Q&A sessions with attending filmmakers, moderated by Jess Iszatt (BBC Radio 1). The evening will open with a live music performance by singer songwriter Sophie Naglik.”
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon Wimbledon (30 MAY 20:30).
- CORSAGE d. Marie Kreutzer, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (30 MAY 20:00 / 31 MAY 20:00 / 04 JUN 17:00).
- THE GOOD BOSS d. Fernando León de Aranoa, 2021 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (30 MAY 20:00).
- Jewish Britain On Film archive programme + Q&A with archivist Julia Wagner at Rich Mix (30 MAY 20:30).
- REALITY d. Tina Satter, 2023 presented by Massive at Genesis Cinema (30 MAY 18:45).
- TOUS LES MATINS DU MONDE d. Alain Corneau, 1991 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (30 MAY 20:00 – Donation requested!).
- Women In Revolt short film programme presented by Shorts On Tap at Rich Mix (30 MAY 19:30).
- YOJIMBO d. Akira Kurosawa, 1961 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (30 MAY 20:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BOOGIE NIGHTS 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997 (30 MAY 12:45).
- AFTER HOURS 35mm d. Martin Scorsese, 1985 (30 MAY 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- THE LITTLE MERMAID d. Rob Marshall, 2023 (25 MAY to 01 JUN).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: INCEPTION IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2010 (30 MAY 20:30).
3x LYNCH at ICA
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 (30 MAY 20:10).
10 YEARS OF A24 at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 (30 MAY 18:20).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (30 MAY 20:45).
ARROW VIDEO CULT FILM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- WITHNAIL AND I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (30 MAY 20:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- L’ARGENT aka Money d. Robert Bresson, 1983 (30 MAY 18:10).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- TETSUO: THE IRON MAN d. Shinya Tsukamoto, 1989 (30 MAY 16:10).
COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER at BFI IMAX
- INCEPTION IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2010 (30 MAY 20:30).
COURIER CINEMA at Biddle Bros
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? aka Ti piace Hitchcock? 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 2005 (30 MAY 20:40).
MUKHRIJAT: ARAB WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (30 MAY 15:35).
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- STREET CORNER 35mm aka Both Sides of the Law/ Gentle Arm/The Policewoman d. Muriel Box, 1953 + Intro by season curator Josephine Botting (30 MAY 18:20).
- THE PASSIONATE STRANGER aka A Novel Affair 4K Restoration d. Muriel Box, 1956 (30 MAY 20:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- #6 – 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (30 MAY 18:30).
TECHNOLOGY ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- APRIL AND THE EXTRAORDINARY WORLD aka Avril et le monde truqué d. Christian Desmares & Franck Ekinci, 2016 (30 MAY 16:00).
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (30 MAY 18:30).
THE THREE COLOURS TRILOGY at BFI Southbank
- THREE COLOURS: BLUE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
- THREE COLOURS: RED d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 (26 MAY to 01 JUN).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (30 MAY 18:15).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- COCAINE BEAR (30 MAY 21:00).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Sci-Fi London (31 MAY to 06 JUN).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 04 JUN).
Also 26 MAY to 01 JUN (various dates/times):
- HYPNOTIC d. Robert Rodriguez, 2023 at: Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- INLAND EMPIRE 4K Restoration d. David Lynch, 2006 at (some limited dates): Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema.
- PARADISE d. Alexander Abaturov, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.