WEDNESDAY: What’s on in London today [01/03/23]
WEDNESDAY 03 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
BREAKING INTO BAIKONUR d. Angel Angelov, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director, presented by Mr Bongo raising funds for Helping to Leave and Kyiv Volunteer at Genesis Cinema (01 MAR 18:45).
“The film documents Ukrainian researchers Dmitri Gromov and cameraman Angel Angelov as they cross the Kazakhstan desert to reach the classified territory of Cosmodrome Baikonur to watch the launch of the Soyuz space rocket. Risking their lives, the pair suffer with dehydration, starvation, physical and psychological exhaustion on their journey, as well as the threat of being taken to jail if found by the Russian militaries.”
“As a renowned military object, Baikonur was the first and the largest space station in the world, which had become one of the key symbols of the Soviet-American space race during the Cold War. This unique footage tracks the journey of this illegal trespass for the duo, whilst exploring the history of this spaceport and the deeply personal experience of this expedition for the Ukrainian protagonist.”
- AFGHANISTAN d. James Glancy, 2023 + Panel discussion at Frontline Club (01 MAR 19:00).
- A FILM ABOUT STUDIO ELECTROPHONIQUE d. James Taylor + Q&A with Martyn Ware, presented by Doc’n Roll at Picturehouse Finsbury Park (01 MAR 20:00).
- A MAN CALLED OTTO d. Marc Forster, 2022 at The David Lean (01 MAR 19:30).
- A ROOM OF ONE’S OWN d. Charlotte Westenra, 2021 + Panel discussion, presented by The London Library and Women’s Prize Trust at Rio Cinema for International Women’s Day (01 MAR 19:00).
- BREAKING INTO BAIKONUR d. Angel Angelov, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director, presented by Mr Bongo raising funds for Helping to Leave and Kyiv Volunteer at Genesis Cinema (01 MAR 18:45).
- Preview: CLOSE d. Lukas Dhont, 2022 at Everyman Cinemas (01 MAR various).
- COLD WATER d. Olivier Assayas, 1994 + Drinks & DJ set, presented by Cinema Rising at The Garden Cinema (01 MAR 18:30).
- DEMON SLAYER: TO THE SWORDSMITH VILLAGE d. Haruo Sotozaki, 2023 at Regent Street Cinema (01 MAR 19:40).
- DRUMMER WARRIOR STORYTELLER + Short film programme, presented by Black Projector at Hoxton Cabin (01 MAR 18:30).
- ELECTRIC MALADY d. Marie Lidén, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (01 MAR 18:20).
- NINGWASUM d. Subash Thebe Limbu, 2021 UK Premiere + Intro/Q&A with the artist at Tate Modern (01 MAR 18:30).
- NITRAM d. Justin Kurzel, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (01 MAR 20:00 / 05 MAR 17:00).
- OLIVER TWIST 16mm d. Frank Lloyd, 1922 + 35mm supporting programme, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (01 MAR 19:30).
- THE SIX d. Arthur Jones, 2021 at The Prince Charles (01 MAR 18:35).
- Pink Palace: STRIP JACK NAKED: NIGHTHAWKS II d. Ron Peck, 1991 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (01 MAR 20:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CINEMA PARADISO 35mm aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 (01 MAR 20:45).
- BRICK 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2005 (01 MAR 18:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (until 02 MAR).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (until 02 MAR).
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- THE DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID aka Le journal d’une femme de chambre d. Luis Buñuel, 1964 (01 MAR 15:35 – £1 Members Film).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (01 MAR 15:50).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 (25 FEB to 02 MAR).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- KING KONG d. John Guillermin, 1976 + Intro, themed drinks & prize giveaways in Genesis Cinema’s Studio 4 (01 MAR 20:45).
- Presented by Token Homo.
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- TAXI DRIVER d. Martin Scorsese, 1976 (01 MAR 13:00).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- THE HUDSUCKER PROXY 35mm d. Joel Cohen, 1994 (01 MAR 10:30).
THE FILMS OF TERRY GILLIAM at The Garden Cinema
- BRAZIL d. Terry Gilliam, 1985 (01 MAR 15:00).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- GOODBYE TO LANGUAGE 3D aka Adieu au langage d. Jean-Luc Godard, 2014 (01 MAR 18:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 1= JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES d. Chantal Akerman, 1975 (01 MAR 18:00).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at Ciné Lumière
- MADAME DE… aka The Earrings of Madame de…d. Max Ophüls, 1953 (01 MAR 16:20).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (until 02 MAR).
WORLD CINEMA PASSPORT SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- OLDBOY d. Park Chan-wook, 2003 (01 MAR 18:00).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
- Glasgow Film Festival (01 to 12 MAR).
- Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (01 to 02 MAR).
- London Mountain Film Festival (20 FEB to 05 MAR).
BROKER dir. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / BFI / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
COCAINE BEAR dir. Elizabeth Banks, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
CREATURE dir. Asif Kapadia, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
JOYLAND dir. Saim Sadiq, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT dir. Shekhar Kapur, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 24 FEB to 02 MAR (various dates/times):
- A HOLY FAMILY d. Elvis A-Liang Lu, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse (see also CHARM CIRCLE).
- CHARM CIRCLE d. Nira Burstein, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse (see also A HOLY FAMILY).
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.